- advertisement -

Borax for ants?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by danismom79, Nov 9, 2009.

1. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

How much should I use? I have a mild invasion after a piece of my hair concoction (shea butter, honey, aloe vera gel) fell on the floor. There have always been a few ants milling around since early summer. Why, I don't know. They passed the kitchen on their way upstairs. But that hair stuff really attracted them last night. There are 4 baits lying around that they never even touched.

So last night, I took some of my hair stuff and mixed a little borax into it, and left a few pieces for them. They've been carrying it to the nest all night, but I don't know if I put enough borax in there. How long does it usually take to kill a small colony? I had the same problem in Atlanta, but they went for the bait and it took a few months before they were all gone. I don't think there are nearly as many ants this time (I hope not!)

2. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

Don't know about Borax.
    But vinegar is good ant deterrent.

3. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

We usually use sugared mashed potatoes. 1-1-1. 1 tablespoon of mashed potatoes, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and 1 tablespoon of borax. We put about a quarter teaspoon on cardboard squares and place them along known ant tracks. Shouldn't take more than 2-3 days. Work great on all sorts of insects. For mice we trade out the sugar with peanut butter and up the 'piles' to a full tablespoon per.

4. danismom79

The thing about deterring them is that they'll just travel to another room. I ended up spraying the kitchen and 2 bedrooms when I lived in Atlanta becuase they packed up and moved from room to room before finally settling in the bathroom.

So 2-1? I think I might have used about that or a little more. It's good to know that it does work. I was a little concerned that I might just be feeding them.

5. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

Yup. Works good. Ants, cockroaches, fruit flies, mice and rats. Probably don't need to say to keep it away from children and pets. :D

6. danismom79

Far fewer ants last night and this morning! And yes, I do keep the door shut so the cat won't get in.

7. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

Good Good! I probably should have mentioned too that we generally change out our magic potatoes every couple of days or so. Once they dry out, the critters seem to leave them alone.