- advertisement -

books for toddlers

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by steph, May 7, 2012.

1. steph

steph Approved members

I was wondering if anyone knew of any storybooks that explains T1D on a toddler level? We have the JDRF Rufus book, but that's it. I was hoping to find some books to add to my daughter's collection and share with her preschool.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

3. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Cooper has Diabetes

I believe the one we got from our Endo was called Cooper has Diabetes. It is on a primary level.

The little boy starts off playing baseball and eats a peanut butter sandwich. Then it flashes back to his short time in the hospital and diagnosis. He takes insulin.

I only wish they had this same book where the boy was on a pump. We switched to a pump from MDI almost two years ago.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Fifty/50 Pharmacy has a stuffed monkey named Pumpernickel that has a pump. The pump sites attach with magnets; he's pretty cute. There's a book about him that can be ordered separately.

Here are ones that our library has:

Sarah and Puffle : a story for children about diabetes / by Linnea Mulder ; illustrated by Joanne H. Friar.

The Great Katie Kate discusses diabetes / M. Maitland Deland.

For siblings:
    My sister Rose has diabetes / written by Monica Driscoll Beatty ; illustrated by Kathy Parkinson.

5. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

They have a special if you purchase the monkey, get the book for free!

Thanks for posting this since I'll get this too for my son! The monkey is too cute!

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  6. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

our endo's office gave us one during our diagnonsis training that was put out by Disney and Lily.
    It has Mickey and friends planning a birthday party for Goofy and they have a Monkey that has diabetes and it talks about her planning what she is going to eat and testing her BG. It is a very good book and one that we took our son's Kindergarden class when he went back to school.

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

8. Momto4boys

Momto4boys Approved members

Our endo gave us the Coco book put out by Disney and Lily. It's very cute and appropriate for 2-3 year olds. We also have "Even Superheroes Get Diabetes" and it's my son's favorite. He's 4 1/2 though. It goes into quite a bit of detail and is pretty long, but the illustrations are awesome!

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I ended up writing my own book for my daughter. Told her story, what happened, talked about food, highs, lows, insulin. I stressed she was the same person and diabetes wasnt catchy I did it on my computer and a local printer bound it for me.

10. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Good idea! We got "Even Little Kids Get Diabetes" in the hospital, and DS really liked it. He still pulls it off the shelf regularly. He might like it, but I don't enjoy "rewriting" the section about how the little girl can't ever have sweets each time we get to it, nor do I enjoy the section about how Dad gets angry and Mom cries, since we have successfully shielded him from our personal emotions about it, and we don't want to plant seeds.

On the other hand, like PPs have said, "Even Superheroes Get Diabetes" is a favourite with DS and me.

11. steph

steph Approved members

I was thinking of writing our own too. I'm a child therapist and I have written lots of social stories for young clients to help calm anxieties about going to school or the doctor or working on a skill like not hitting. I was also thinking of getting "Even Little Kids..." and whiting out some of the text to replace it with my own.

12. steph

steph Approved members

Thanks everyone. We will be ordering a few of these for my daughter, and maybe even a few for friends, cousins and the daycare too. I hope I can get ahold of the Lilly/Disney book somewhere too. Our endo doesn't have it.

13. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

Ours only had one for the office the kids could read, but none to hand out. It's a shame that Lily doesn't mass produce it as I think Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is pretty popular with the 5 and under crowd. We would have loved our own.

The Great Katie Kate one is pretty good and introduces the newly diagnosed boy to two kids (one who does shots and one on a pump). I liked that it showed both.

The Sarah and Puffle one is REALLY dated with mentioning raisins for lows and taking NPH and R for her shots. The meter made me laugh remembering my old ones of 20+ years ago. Otherwise it was pretty cute.

Good luck!