- advertisement -

Book: THINK LIKE A PANCREAS

Discussion in 'Diabetes Book Club' started by zoesmama, Sep 30, 2008.

1. zoesmama

zoesmama Approved members

Any takers? I got my copy today and I'm halfway through it. :p Anyone else read it/like it/love it/hate it? I'm diggin' it so far... It has very good, basic information, as well as a touch of humor.

2. CButler

CButler Approved members

I've been reading it this week too! It is so good, but part of of it makes my head swim! I wish I had read it before some others I had at first. I do recommend it for sure!

3. zoesmama

I'm in chapter 7, and it's definitely making my head swim a bit.... BUT, the nice thing is that I did learn most of this in a "crash course" when I split Zoe's Levemir. I believe you were in on that thread, Cindy..... maybe not, correct me if I'm wrong. :eek: So, I'm wondering if Gary Scheiner is actually Wilf in disguise.... ;)

I also highly recommend it-- and I'm saying that when I'm only halfway through!

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I liked it when I read it soon after dx. It is an easy read - not overly technical - but gives a LOT of practical information.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I read it about a year ago, which is a year after dx, and I didn't like it much. I thought it overrated the pump, underrated CGMS, underestimated the ability of people to use insulins like NPH effectively.
    It's wrong in claiming that only carbs will affect blood sugar, and not proteins or fats.
    And the glycemic index doesn't really hold consistantly from person to person.

On the other hand, I liked that it showed what is most typical in terms of insulin sensitivity at different ages, and I think that reading it helped my mother a little bit.

6. zoesmama

Very good review, Lantusfiend! I do realize that it's a teeny bit out of date-- though it was published in 2004. However, I find it VERY interesting that it IS out of date, given that it's only 4 years old. I really liked the straightforward approach to the essential equations, though (i.e. TDD, 1800 rule for ISF, 500 rule for carb ratio, etc.). I can see where reading it would help your mom-- I passed it on to my mom to read, too! :D