- advertisement -

Book: CHEATING DESTINY

Discussion in 'Diabetes Book Club' started by StillMamamia, Apr 9, 2008.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just in case some of you are ready...I don't have it yet.

2. CDoyle1013

CDoyle1013 Approved members

It is a good book...had a chance to email the author..he sets out a good history of diabetes, mentions JDRF and Faustman...I sent copies to both sets of grandparents (Grandma had said, "I don't see what the problem is..just have Erin take her insulin" and "so and so isn't having trouble with her diabetes"...my mom drives me nuts...with this attitude, guess who doesn't get to see my daughter without me there????

3. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

One of the things I found astounding in this book was the million-dollar displays at conferences. I understand the world of pharmaceuticals is a dog-eat-dog environment, but it's amazing that so much money is put into displays, of all things!

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

That just seems so wrong. :eek:

Okay, I'm going to get my book back out and find where I left off, use my highlighter, and will post things that interest me or post questions. Thanks everyone!!!! :)

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

6. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

7. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

The Prologue is captivating. The author, James Hirsch, is T1d as well as his brother (who is also a diabetologist). He is researching and writing a book on diabetes. In the midst of writing the book, he suddenly realizes (after self-denial) that his young son is T1 as well.

As Mr. Hirsch is seeking to write a book that captures the everyday struggle of a diabetic, he comes face to face with reality as son enters the same world he himself has lived in for many years.

8. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I recently dug this back out and am almost finished.

The research chapters have intrigued me. I have enjoyed reading his synopsis on the background of the researchers, organizations, etc. Anybody care to discuss those chapters with me?

9. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

I am glad I read this thread because I am having a hard time getting past page 14, guess I will keep chugging away and hopefully not be depressed the whole time. I've had to put it down 2 times so far, am I the only one or have I just not gotten far enough into it.

10. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

It is a rather depressing book, especially in some sections. Makes you wonder if "big pharma" is going to completely ruin any chance for a cure because they don't want us to have one! Making diabetes more manageable - now that's something they can agree on, because more management means more supplies and more supplies means more profit for those who sell them. It's a vicious cycle, and the author of the book knows it.

11. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I loved this book. It was a welcome change from all the text book/manual types.

I thought the parts about insurance spending were very interesting (and infuriating).

12. Pam H

Pam H Approved members

I asked my endo for a book recommendation: this is the book he suggested. Does it tell anything about actually managing diabetes?

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

No. It's devoted to the history of diabetes and the current state of diabetes research, with some personal ancetotes mixed in. It's a really good book, but it doesn't tell you anything about actually managing the disease.

For that, I'd recommend "Think Like a Pancreas", "Type 1 Diabetes", or "Using Insulin."

14. Pam H

Pam H Approved members

I bought Type 1 Diabetes by Hanas. I feel like I need to spend my time right now learning about management.

15. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

In one chapter, a story is related about a young doctor in general practice that was seeing a lot of diabetic patients (T2 probably). He spent extra time with them and many of his patients had dramatic improvement in their health.

However, the doctor could not get reimbursed by insurance company for the volume of time he spent with each patient. The insurance companies want the doctors to see more patients for less $ per visit. Without volume - the doctor began losing money. Eventually, he could not afford helath insurance for his own family.

In the end, he closed his practice and went to work at a hospital making more money with less stress. Now he sees those former patients and deals with the complications that could have been avoided if they had more time with their doctor for prevention of complications.

Why can insurance companies not see that better early care saves them dollars that will be spent on future complications!

I know a lot of doctors that are in similar situations. The doctors want to give better care, but it economically not possible for them.

16. dorisjdickson

dorisjdickson New Member

Hi guys.

You've got a nice forum. I usually post on the ADA site. I was searching for book titles to do reviews myself. I came across your site and Jim Hirsch's book comments. So I felt the "need" to jump in.

I was diagnosed as a child more than 32 years ago. I have no major complications (it is possible moms and dads). I do have a few of the less discussed but not tragic "features" as I call them.

About 2 1/2 years ago I found technical information no one ever bothered to tell me. So I got angry and decided to do something with that anger. Since then I've been mentoring other type 1 (usually adult) diabetics. In addition, I was recently asked to write for a website. I think you'll see the link to the blog portion of that website.

Anyway, one of the things I am doing is writing book reviews. I had seen Jim Hirsch interviewed and since he only lives 20 minutes from me I wanted to read the book and interview him - he agreed.

I'm afraid I was first disappointed and then so upset with the book, I wrote the book review (leaving out any editorialisms) and after much discussion opted not to do the interview.

As you may know part of the story describes his car accident. I remember the accident being reported very vividly. I remember yelling at the tv when I saw it because I am very big self-reliance and Mr. Hirsch lack of interest in testing his blood sugar (and calling those of us who do test alot and thus, avoid car accidents "obsessive" really upset me), as well as not wanting to mess up his lunch resulted in a crash that could have killed him, his son and others on that highway that early afternoon a few years ago.

The fact that he did not understand that testing would have kept him from having a dangerous low, NOT buying an insulin pump, further infuriated me. The final straw was his hooking up a knowingly broken insulin pump and lying to the judge in the Quincy courtroom.

I did find some of the historical information as well as the bios on other diabetics very interesting. I'll be further researching them for article topics myself. However, I can't say I'd ever recommend the book. It's been a few months since I read it and I still get a bit more worked up than I should.

Well, thanks for reading my comments. I realize they are very opinionated. I hope you keep in mind they come from a veteran juvenile onset diabetic who cares a whole lot about diabetes education and living the healthiest life we can.

17. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Hi Doris. :) I hope you reconsider interviewing him and asking him about it. I think it would make an interesting article.

While I won't say I think he is very proactive in the way he treats his diabetes and/or his son's, I enjoyed reading about the researchers and prospective cure theories.

18. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members

I have signed up to hear Mr. Hirsch give a talk about his book and experiences as a Type 1. I read the book after signing up for this talk. I have to say initially I was excited and was looking forward to this event. However, after reading the book I may reconsider attending. I found the book very depressing. Now I believe I am a realistic person but I am also optimistic ( most of the time :)). Anyway, I guess I was just hoping for a little more optimism. Well that my two cents.

19. Jodi

Jodi Approved members

I enjoyed the book very much and it has given me a much different perspective as to what is important and what my personal focus needs to be.......my children. I can not....will not live for a cure....wait for a cure. I want to concentrate on having happy, healthy children and let the scientists to the rest. I enjoyed very much reading the history stuff and a lot of the case studies....amazing the technology that has come about and I am thankful for that.