- advertisement -

book author looking for diabetics (preteens, teens, young adults)

Discussion in 'Teens' started by MKE, Dec 21, 2010.

1. MKE

MKE New Member

Hello everyone...

I received permission from Jeff at CWD to post here.

I am writing a book for teens about living with diabetes. Since a lot of the book requires creating realistic situations that children and teens find themselves in, and this is something that you don't get by simply studying the research, I am interested in hearing from as many of you as possible about your experiences with diabetes.

For instance, I am curious to know how and when you were taught to maintain your own blood sugar levels and what that was like for you. What treatment method did you use and how was the decision made to use that method.

As I proceed through the book, I will have many of these types of questions -- regarding your frustrations, how you stay positive, what resources you find most helpful, how it affects your social life (friends, etc).

Since I agreed to only post once here, I am hoping to find a few people who wouldn't mind making themselves available, via email or private message, to share these kinds of details. Basically, you would receive an email once in a while with a few questions, which you could answer in full, in part or even just ignore. This will last until the end of January.

Anyone whose contributions are used will receive an email (pdf) copy of the book when it's done (late 2011/early 2012). I would also be happy to include your name in the acknowledgments of the book (or you can remain anonymous, if you prefer).

If this is something you wouldn't mind participating in, please let me know. Your contributions will help make this a better and more interesting book than it would be otherwise. Also, if you want to simply write (or post) about some aspect of your experience that you feel is important to share, please do. If you have any other questions about myself, the book, the publisher or anything else related to this project, please feel free to ask.

Many thanks to all of you and I look forward to hearing from you!

I wish you all a happy and healthy holiday season.

Mark

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm happy to participate and answer any questions you may have, as an 18 year old who was diagnosed at age 14. Feel free to contact me by PM, and I can give you my email address if that's easier.

3. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

What she said.
    I would be more than happy to help!

4. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

I would love to help, this is right up my alley! I'm 17, have parental approval, and was diagnosed when I was 10. I'll PM you my e-mail.

5. lizzie

lizzie Approved members

I would also be happy to help as a young adult. I was diagnosed at 19. Feel free to PM me and I can give you my email address.

6. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Mark-
    I'm 24, was diagnosed at 8, pumping since I was 14, CGMS for the past 2 - 3 years, I'm also an EMT and I just finished nursing school. Count me in if I can be of any help. Feel free to PM me on here and I'll send you my e-mail address.

7. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Mark,
    If you are require more people, I would also be willing to answer any questions. I was diagnosed as an older teen, 17 years of age. Feel free to PM, and I will provide you with my email address. Thanks.

8. Sunni

Sunni Approved members

If you are still needing help I'd be willing to help answer any questions you have. I am 15 and was diagnosed a couple years ago or so. I have my parent's permission. You can send me an email or something. But I'd love to help in any way that I can.

9. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

PMing you my email. I am 18 diagnosed at 14.

10. k_chickita

k_chickita New Member

I'll help out too. Why not? The more the merrier right. I'll PM an email. 17 currently, diagnosed at 11. Unfortunately just about to get on the pump.

11. icanhazjoy

icanhazjoy Approved members

I'd definitely be willing to participate. This sounds really intriguing actually.

EDIT: Oh wait, sorry, I missed the boat. Haha, I'm a little late, :p

12. Leah

Leah Approved members

I would be happy to help. Im 12, was diagnosed when I was eight, and am on the omnipod pump, and the minimed sensor...sounds like a great idea!!!:):):)

13. MKE

MKE New Member

Project is over

Sorry I couldn't include the later volunteers.

Thanks to everyone who contributed and to the others who offered to contribute.

CWD is awesome!