advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bone growth aging

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kel4han, Dec 15, 2008.

1. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

Anyone had the xray of the wrist to determine bone age growth in your "D" child? (Besides you Beth :D) Maddison is 8yrs 4months and hers just came back at age 5yrs 9months :eek: So, of course it appears the Diabetes dx 2 years ago stunted her growth. Just wondering. I was very small as a child too, I am just hoping Maddison catches up in size because people still think she is 5 and it hurts her feelings!

2. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Lil has not had the testing but people are always asking her if she is 4-6 years old.
    It also upsets her as well. I try and use it as a time to explain that everyone is different and sometimes peoples mouths and what they say are damaged.;) And they do not have mcuh in the way of help for them.
    Lil's best friend is a year younger and quite a bit taller, etc.
    Her 4 year old brother weighs 10 lbs less and is only a head shorter than her.
    Are they thinknig of doing meds for Maddison? Heather in Californina had the testing done on one of her sons. You could check with her about it.
    Good luck,
    Allene

3. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Morgan had the bone growth test several years ago. His was off by about a year. His actual age was around 6 yrs., but the bone growth said 7 yrs. If it is going to be off, it is better to have the bone growth younger than actual age rather than older.

4. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

True younger is actually "better" than older which could indicate a pituitary issue. Dr said the Diabetes probably just stunted her growth or she is simply a "late bloomer" as was I, but I was also a preemie.....they didnt mark her celiac labs that were due in November, so I reqested those last week and I should have the script in the mail....Dr said to mark off IGF-1 just in case on the lab slip....also a new thyroid screening. HOPEFULLY just the "D" has caused the growth delay.

Maddison and I talk alot about her being "tiny" and I share my tiny stories when I was a kid. We use it as a chance to talk about differences too ;)

5. dorothy's_mom

dorothy's_mom Approved members

Dorothy had never had the test done. However she has always been big for her age. I just measured her and she is 5' 3-1/2"! She is only 11 and has grown over 4 inches since the beginning of the year.

She is prepubescent. I think that has a lot to do with it.

6. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Jess is also small She has never had the test done, mainly because she has always been small, and has been on the same growth curve the whole time.

It may be something I look into next year.

7. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

Hi
    We have the opposite problem my childs bones are 3-4 years older than her and we just stopped doing Lupron injections for pre-puberty that she started having when she was 4 she is now 10 and we did the muscle injections of Lupron for over a year to slow things down.:eek:

8. mommyofAx4

mommyofAx4 Approved members

Adrianna had it done when dxd and it was younger than what she was then she had one tuesday because the dr said that will tell us about when she will start puberty that usually girls that have a bone age of 11 will start their period so they want to see about when that will be

9. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Jayden had this done earlier this year. She was chronologically nine years and eight months old, but her bone age was seven years, ten months. The endo said that the margin of error is two years. She was looking for a combination of growth hormone levels and the bone age, and thyroid levels. For Jayden, her gh was high, and her thyroid was normal, and the bone age was within two years, so we're just watching and waiting.

10. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I could be wrong, but I think it's two different dx'd. (Unrelated to D) Seth has always been the bigger of my two boys. Jake was just dx'd with growth hormone deficiency. His bone age was 11 when he had just turned 15:eek: Tomorrow is our first Endo appt. after starting the GH, I can't wait!:D

11. mommyofAx4

mommyofAx4 Approved members

i was wondering how he is doing i hope everything goes well tomorrow keep us posted

12. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Mia had the bone age test done twice- first time in Sept 07: She tested 1 - 1.5 years ahead of biological age, so the endo wanted the test repeated this year. It seems that she has "slowed down" and she is now only about 6 months ahead of biological age, so that is good :).

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It would never occur to me to request a bone test for my son. He reached 6 ft when he was 12 and is now almost 6'3". He has always been tall, but I would never have considered slowing down growth.

What is wrong with having bones develop faster than other children? Slower, I can see a problem.

I have been on the forum for a long time, but this is the first I have noticed parents and endos doing something to slow growth. I wonder about the wisdom of doing that...

14. Heather(CA)

I don't know if this is the same situation, but I'm thinking two reasons. One is pain, thee is a kid in our neighborhood that is having issues with pain because his bones are growing faster than his muscles. Also, if your bones are ahead, then you might stop growing before your time because of the growth plates closing...:(

15. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I can honestly say that I have never even heard of doctors doing an x-ray for bone growth! We have an appointment Jan.14th, so I will definitely bring this up.

16. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have never heard of this???

Can someone explain the reason that they had their child tested, were there signs that pointed towards getting this testing?? Is it advisable for all T1 kidss? We have an endo appointment on thursday and I will ask.

17. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

I do not mean to hijack this thread but...

I have never heard that type one D can stunt growth??? Does it?

I have never heard of this test. When has your endo recommended you do it?

18. Heather(CA)

I had my oldest (Non-D) tested because his bones are very small.

This is totally a guess, I don't know for sure...But, what I'm thinking is that if you have a child that is not growing even if they have D, it's not D related, rather it's Endo related. Growth and puberty problems are Endo problems.

So, it would be one child having both D and growth problems, like having both D and Celiac. Celiac doesn't happen because of D, but they are both Endo issues. Did I say that right:confused:

Again, I don't KNOW that for sure.

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes I understood that, thanks. I ask because, now that I have a second daughter, (6 months), they are to opisite in regards to growth. I always thought that my D daughter just took after me, I am small under 5 foot. Of course I cold have had growth issues too, who knows, my parents did not go to ENDOS.

I will ask at her appointment, just to see if there is any reason for concern.

This place is a wealth of information, especially when you have a 6 month old up that this hour.

20. Kelly

Kelly Approved members

Anna is actually fairly tall, skinny thing though! She didn't grow for a long time before and after diagnosis, but now sher is growing like a weed. Interesting stuff though. My lil brother also stopped growing in the year prior to diagnosis, then once treated, he grew like a weed too... but is still shorter than expected. :cwds: