- advertisement -

Bolusing for Hot Dogs

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tuckerk, Jul 28, 2008.

1. tuckerk

tuckerk Approved members

Hi everyone!

My daughter is in love with hot dogs (with or without the bun). They usually make her BS go through the roof (we usually get the beef weiners).

How do you bolus for hot dogs and other high fat meat?

2. mommyofAx4

mommyofAx4 Approved members

hot dogs are free with our dd she has always done fine

3. shekov

shekov Approved members

We've found that different hot dogs vary widely in carbs. I always check the package.

4. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Are you sure it isn't the fat in the hot dogs that is delaying the absorption of carbs? Does she eat them without anything (no ketchup, sugary drink, milk, juice, relish, buns, etc. . . ) and she still goes high?

5. punky1076

punky1076 Approved members

We always check the package too. My dd usually eats them on occassion and generally on the bun so we have to count the carbs in the weiner and the bun. The weiners that she eats are around 5 carbs each, but a lot of others have 0 carbs. She just prefers a certain kind. Buns are around 20 carbs normally.

6. mommyofAx4

mommyofAx4 Approved members

the ones my daughter eats say less tham 1 carb for each one so its free she has no bun or anything just the hot dog

7. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Hot dogs are free for my SD too. She prefers them without the bun.

8. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

DS loves hotdogs too. We count zero carbs for the hotdog, and 19 carbs for the bun. He doesn't put ketchup or anything else on them, and they don't cause him to spike.

9. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I don't know anything about bolusing but my ds loves the mini hotdogs I think it's oscar myer and I'm pretty sure they have no carbs, I find them at walmart here.

10. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

We use turkey hot dogs which has much less fat than the all beef Nathans. They are 2 carbs each and we bolus it all up front with the bun.

High fat meals that are complex carbs (not dessert), we bolus 50/50 over 2 hours which seems to work but I would recommend turkey franks to avoid this problem all together.

HTH.

11. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I agree...if she is eating anything else with carbs the hot dog will slow the absorption of the other carbs as an all beef hot dog usually only has 1 carb. If she is eating only a hotdog and nothing else, then I am stumped.

12. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

We also do turkey dogs which are 2-3g apiece, and just bolus them straight.