- advertisement -

Bolus for Eggs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by swimmom, Sep 27, 2007.

1. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Has anyone seen their child's blood sugar rise with a totally non-carb breakfast? Even with eggs and sausage we are seeing a significant rise. The problem is we don't know how much to bolus for eggs since they are listed as a "free" food.

Any advice??

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It may not be the protein that is causing a rise in sugar. Your child may need extra insulin as a basal at that time.

Have you done a basal test during that time period? This may show that more basal is needed then. Your child needs to go without eating or bolusing 4 hours before the test.

3. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

We never bolus for eggs.

4. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

At less than one carb each, we do not bolus for eggs.

5. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I generally don't bolus for an egg if it is included with breakfeast. However, I do add a couple of grams for "a lot" of protein in a meal as it will affect Mia's blood sugar a couple of hours later. I also take fat into consideration (for example when we eat steak, which she looooves). I don't have a scientific formula but I will add up to 5grams and do a combo bolus for the high fat meal as a whole, if applicable.

If you see a large increase in BG after an all-protein meal, I would agree that maybe the basals are off for that time. Repeat the meal tomorrow and see if you get the same results. If yes, try to adjust/up the basal 2 hours prior to when you see the BG jump.

6. melaniej

melaniej Approved members

we do no not pump yet so im not sure how that works but i just went through this at breakfast this morn ty had 2 eggs and toast still hungry so i made 2 more eggs he had already had his insulin and i didn't really think about it considering eggs are (free) well by 10:00 the nurse was calling ty was high so my guess is the protein cause his bs to rise about 2 hrs or so later im guessing here but next he has extra eggs im giving extra h :)

7. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Sausage usually has carbs. That could be the issue. They often use fillers and spices. Check the label, or ask your butcher.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

I wouldn't give to much extra right away. Protein has a different absorption rate, right around the 2 hr mark...so he has 4 eggs and 2 pieces of toast...I'll say 30 carbs for the toast.

You give him 40 because of the eggs. At 1 hr, he may bottom out because of the extra insulin with no carbs left...then in another hr, he will run high, because all of the active insulin has been 'used up'...bell curve style.

We used to run into the same problem when we used shots. We would just dose the regular carbs, then correct 2 hrs later...

don't know if that really helps or not.