- advertisement -

blueberries

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zell828, Jul 18, 2011.

1. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Does anyone know how many carbs in blueberries? Is this a free fruit like strawberries, raspberries?

2. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

We weigh and bolus for all fruit.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Strawberries and raspberries are free for you? Fruit of any kind gives me crazy spikes if I don't pre-bolus by 15 minutes.. I pretty much dose 15g for a fist sized portion of any fruit. Sort of works... :rolleyes:

5. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Ditto.....

6. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

we weigh ours too. But after weighing them often enough I'm confident that one of my hand full is right around 3 carbs.

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

1 cup or 148 grams in weight is 21 grams in carbohydrate. I wouldn't call this free. However, 1/4 of a cup is 5 grams. That is free in my book.

8. skimom

skimom Approved members

blueberries - 10 carb=75g
    strawberries - 10 carb= 130 g
    raspberries - 10 carb=85 g
    NONE of it is free in our house
    if we are not sure about a fruit, we find that using 75g=10carb is a good estimation to work from for most things

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

We do not consider them free either..we weigh and bolus..I believe I count them as 1 oz = 2 carbs..she rarely eats them without having a total meal though so maybe that is why we just include them in the entire meal bolus..if she were just eating one strawberry, no, we wouldnt bolus for that.

10. lynn

lynn Approved members

Strawberries, raspberries (actually black raspberries here), and strawberries are nearly free for Nathan. He can eat quite a few without needing insulin and when I do bolus for them I have to be careful or it is asking for a low.

I always find it interesting how different bodies react to the same foods.

11. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

no fruit has ever been free for us. Ashleigh has our carb amounts, since she's spending the night at grandma and pappy's. But fitday.com has blueberries at .14 per gram.

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

Is this true for just those foods or any food with the same carb count? I have a hard time believing that one person can digest them and another can't - unless one has an inability to digest fructose which I have heard of.

13. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yes, exactly what I was thinking. Watermelon, as sweet as it is, is often a free food for my son. If it's VERY sweet and he eats too much, he pays for it with a high blood sugar, but he can eat quite a bit without needing insulin. He can eat a handful of strawberries too.

14. smcnair

smcnair Approved members

Strawberries

The dietician I was seeing while I was pregnant told me to get a copy of Calorie King, and although it states strawberries has so many carbs, she told me that they were free so I never count them anymore.

15. lynn

lynn Approved members

It is basically true for berries. I didn't realize he was uncommon. He definitely needs insulin for other fruits.

Back when I used to try to figure out the "why" of every little thing I thought maybe it was all of the little seeds that slowed down digestion so much that the rise in blood sugar was more like that from meat, which we don't bolus for unless he eats a large amount.

16. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I have a friend who is borderline Type 2 and is on a meal plan of 30 grams of carbohydrate per meal. However, berries are free on her meal plan. I had not heard of this before.

My son doesn't eat enough berries for me to discern a pattern.

17. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

We usually bolus for any berries (Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries) - 3/4 cup as 15 grams of carb. Berries are on the more low glycemic end compared to other fruits so we've never seen any spikes with them (maybe this is why we're seeing some people allowing them as "free" food).

Stephanie, mom to Jacob age 9
    Dx since 2005

18. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Yes, strawberries and raspberries are free for my SD. She can eat whatever she wants and not bolus for them with no reaction. It's always been that way for her. In the beginning we tried bolusing for strawberries but it made her go low. We do bolus for watermelon, pineapple and other fruits.

19. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

We bolus for all fruit too....

20. SFGingerBeerSoda

SFGingerBeerSoda Approved members

1/2cup or 2.5oz is 10 carbs per Calorie King. I usually count a handful as 5 carbs and it works for DD.
    We now carb count for fruit but when we were on MDI we often used berries, apples, watermelon as her 15 carb free snack.