- advertisement -

Blue Cross and Express Scripts - Free supplies with insulin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by racerone, Sep 14, 2011.

1. racerone

racerone Approved members

I just wanted to pass on this benefit we accidently came across with our last insulin order with Express Scripts, our Blue Cross prescription provider. Any supplies you bundle with your insulin order are free, including test strips. So, along with our three month supply of insulin, we got 1200 test strips, alcohol swaps, a spare meter, lancet refill cartridges, and some other stuff I can't remember right now. So basically the only thing we pay for now is the insulin copay and a $3 copay per Omnipod. Not bad.

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

That must be specific to your insurance. But I'll test it out next time I place an order. ;)

Curious - do you have an HMO, or some other plan? Every shipment I've gotten has had copays for each script sent, even when they were sent together.

3. Jillian06

Jillian06 Approved members

This is our experience as well. They would not even honor a free multiclix coupon.

I asked about saving program last April and was told there was no such program. I am interested how this was set up for you.

4. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

I think there are many different plans out there. We have BCBS and Express Scripts but certainly not the same experience that you had.

5. racerone

We have three different plans available through my employer, ours is a POS (Point of Service). We had to be very careful and specific with our endo to make sure all the scripts were called in at the same time to make sure they made the same shipment. It took a bit of coordination with Express Scripts and the Endo, but it all worked as advertised. We actually learned about it on the last bill we got where it simply stated "Remember - in the future all diabetic supplies ordered with insulin are free." or something along those lines. This benefit may be specific to my employer, a very large express freight shipper, maybe they worked a deal with Express scripts on shipping fees and scripts.. who knows.

6. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I am glad you are having a good experience with Express Scripts and BCBS.

My BCBS of TX and Express Scripts Plan has terribly high co-pays, so I've not been happy with the coverage at all.

7. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Even within the same company, and offered in the same state, your employer may have opted out of some, more expensive options to save money. So, this would be something to inquire about, but don't count on it.

8. racerone

Darn, I was hoping others may benefit as well. Maybe some will.

9. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I just got a letter in the mail that my Walgreen's pharmacy will no longer be using Express Scripts/BCBS after 12/31/11.

10. thebestnest5

Same here. Thank you Express Scripts:rolleyes:

11. danismom79

How did this work? You picked up your ES orders from Walgreens?

12. thebestnest5

Express Scripts was our pharmacy plan manager, so we could fill at most pharmacies for one month rx. Ninety day rx need to be filled with Express Scripts only.

13. danismom79

Ah, ok. I believe we use ES for mail-order only. I don't think they have anything to do with the pharmacies. And now that I think about it, I was able to get an overlapping Humalog script filled once at the pharmacy, and that's probably why.