- advertisement -

Blood sugar still out of control

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mama2mm, Sep 10, 2011.

1. mama2mm

mama2mm Approved members

Yes, Donna is pretty much the only one we speak to. I have a list of carbs, but have no clue how many carbs should be at a meal as we were never told a number. The dietitian at that practice is a dope. I felt that in the first minute I spoke to her.

Yesterday morning, my daughter had a BG of 31 and later that night had a BG of HI (over 500, our meter doesn't go any higher.) I promised my daughter tonight that things are going to change. I'm so glad I came to this forum, you all have helped tremendously, thank you so much! I hope one day, I'll be able to help as well!:)

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

But it's not, since you had carb numbers set for meals and the OP does not.

Even if somehow this is miscommunication, which seems unlikely since the OP is very clear here and consistent, but sometimes things do get lost in the information transfer -- even if somehow there was a miscommunication and the OP was supposed to be using set carbs for meals, this mistake should certainly have been caught over the course of 8 months. :(:(

I'd definitely look into your other options for endo practices.

3. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

Me too! I can't get past this for some reason.

I am glad you are calling them and will get this all straightened out and that it didn't take some horrible emergency to get to this point. Your daughter is going to start feeling much better.

4. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Of course Lisa, you are right. You are always right. :rolleyes:

5. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I'm not sure what warranted the sarcasm, but Lisa is right IMO. Having a sliding scale and set carbs per meal is a typical early D regime and VASTLY different to dosing the same amount of insulin for 20 or 120 Carbs which the OP is doing. No doubt a low carb meal sends her bg crashing and a high carb meal sends her bg soaring as there is no matching doses to carbs eaten!

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

This line was meant for the OP and is, of course, only my opinion easily ignored.

I did not mean it to be a recommendation for the person I quoted, if that's how it appeared.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Do you know how to count carbohydrates? I know they didn't give you ratios and how many carbs to eat.. so I'm assuming they didn't bother telling you how to count carbs.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

A sliding scale without set carb amounts for meals and snacks is just nutty.

Either there was a massive miscommunication (which wasn't caught in any endo visits over the past 8 months), or the family was given an incomplete insulin regimen.

Either way the immediate priority is clear - start counting carbs and dosing according to the amount eaten. High carb meals get more insulin, low carb meals get less.

In the event that the clinic drags its heels, the book Using Insulin gives step by step instructions about how to figure out carb ratios from scratch.

Folks here can walk you through this too. But I'd start with the clinic, give them a last chance to redeem themselves. Good luck. :cwds:

9. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

Hi! I'm so sorry to hear your daughter feels badly. My DD was dx at 4 yr and we were also on a sliding scale for about a year and half. ALTHOUGH, we had a fixed carb count for meals and another for snacks. My little family unit was going through alot of changes so I just followed doctors orders until I woke up one day (like you) thinking this can not be right. I posted alot of questions here and found the advice so helpful. It triggered me in a search for a new Endo.

How far are you from NYC? I actually travel about an hour and a half (sometimes it take 2 or more) to our new endo. Overall I am pleased. PM me if you want the information (if your not too far from there).

10. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Of course carb counting is too much for little kids, that is why the parent's do it for them! I really feel like this must have been a miscommunication, but am glad that it will soon be fixed. Even when my kids were diagnosed, the sliding scale including exchanges. I taught myself carb counting before she went on the pump. A good book to do that is the ADA one called "Complete Guide to Carb Counting"

11. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

It does seem like there is something wrong and just generally inconsistent here -- especially since they apparently suggested a range of carbs for uncovered snacks.

12. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Hi. I'm glad you're getting some help and being proactive by asking the endo/team for a change. By any chance were you given "exchanges" instead of carbs per meal? Like a protein, a starch, a fat....a fruit...? Hang in there, things are bound to improve. There are many doctors and practices out there not following "best practices" unfortunately.

13. mama2mm

mama2mm Approved members

Hi everyone! I just wanted to say thank you again for all of the amazing advice. I spoke with the Dr and things are going to change!!!:D I've been documenting every carb she's eaten for the past 3 days and I have a "phone appointment" with the dietitian today and we're going to figure out DD's insulin to carb ratio.

So thank you again for giving me the confidence to speak up and take charge of my daughter's health.:cwds:

14. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

So glad to see you are getting answers, thanks for letting us know! Hope you have great progress.