advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood squirting after poking finger

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BillysMom, Oct 11, 2009.

1. BillysMom

BillysMom Approved members

My son had just finished a soccer game, got into my car and began to check his blood sugar. When he poked his finger the blood shot straight up in air and began squirting out. It's hard to describe. It startled me so much that I screamed. :eek: Of coarse he thought it was cool. Blood went everywhere. He put pressure over the hole to stop it and then went on to check himself. He wasn't high and was right around where he should have been. My question is, why would this happen? Could it have anything to do with it being so hot out (it was in the 90's) and he played the entire game without a break. Or is it just something that happens? I'm just glad it happened in the car and not at a table in a restaurant or in class.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It's happened to me before as well. Really freaked me out the first time, it hit my glasses! The first time it happened, I struggled to get blood, so I squeezed harder, and bam! :rolleyes:

3. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

oh my!:eek: I can see him thinking it was cool, but I would have screamed too. My guess is with the hot weather and all the exercise, his blood was probably pumping hard and that caused it.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

After 5+ years with diabetes, this happened a few months ago when I tested William. He was not exercising and indoors in the a/c and I actually was testing his finger so I know I didn't do anything unusual.

Goes to show it can happen I guess - but I don't know why. The distance it went was less than a foot. I guess I'm thinking I'd want to be a least a foot away from people when testing after that!

5. Mom_to_4_Princesses

Mom_to_4_Princesses Approved members

Wow! I haven't had that happen yet, but I must say I am glad that I read this because I would have flipped out I'm sure!! I remember the first time giving an insulin injection and blood just seeped out afterwards. I had SUCH anxiety afterwards. I'm glad your son handled it okay! :)

6. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I have had that happen numerous times in my 11 years with d, but I have yet to figure out why it happens. Last time it happend I was wearing I nice white shirt and ya you guessed it the blood went all over it.

7. abacobaby

abacobaby Approved members

Wow, I would have freaked out:eek: That has never happened to us, but I'm grateful for you posting your experience, so if/when it ever does happen to us, I will know that it does happen sometimes..so thank you:cwds:

8. CheriMomTo8

CheriMomTo8 Approved members

Hey, this has happened to us, too! Never figured out why. Wasn't hot or anything. Must just be the way the capillary is pierced??

9. Andrew's Mom

Andrew's Mom Approved members

We have been at it for 2 years now and this just happened for the first time last week. I am not sure why it happened because I didn't do any thing any different.

10. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Yes, I had it happen on a white shirt:cool: too,

11. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I have had it happen to me several times. and I know it has happend to Reann a few times too.

12. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

This happen when I tested my husband once and I screamed and I think he did too :D

13. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

14. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I had the spurt effect as well. Hit me in my nose. The other one is when I poke once and come up with several holes on the same finger.