- advertisement -

Blood Ketone Strips

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Jan 13, 2012.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I just learned that under our Medco coverage, 100 BLOOD ketone strips cost $13.74. 100 URINE ketone strips cost $17.16. We are soooo done with urine testing!!! I can't believe the blood strips are cheaper, but YEAH!!!

2. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Sweet deal! I just ordered blood ketone strips...haven't picked up yet....hopefully it doesn't break the bank. The last time we went to er they gave us a bunch of urine stripes...but I know the blood is more accurate.

3. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Are you sure?
    The Novomax strips are probably cheaper than the Precision ones, but that's retail $1000 worth of test strips? Plus, they expire, I believe within six months. Is insurance willing to pay for 5 to 10 blood ketone strips a week? We have only used maybe 30 in over three years. :confused:
    Hate to be a downer, but I'd double check that before ordering. Pharmacies etc. get very, very confused about blood ketone strips. There have been times I was talking about blood ketone strips and the supplier heard blood glucose strips. :( If it is accurate, hoorah!!! I love the things!!!

4. L101418

L101418 Approved members

Sorry - but I agree. Our plans are probably different but Medco did not cover blood ketone strips for me. (I had a prescription, called and also had my local pharmacy check. It took a VERY long time until they understood what product I was asking for.)

5. MomofSweetOne

I told them I DID NOT want the blood strips, and we were comparing with Ketostix, so I would hope that's accurate. But, my opinion of Medco and their customer service is extremely low from prior experience. I'd fire them if I were selecting a company.

6. MomofSweetOne

I called them back to verify...and even though I had asked them THREE times to make sure they were telling me the ketone price, they goofed. They said the blood ketone ones are 10 for $19.75. I dislike dealing with insurance companies and prescription companies. They just add a whole other dimension of stress to diabetes life.

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I'm sorry. But that's a better price than we get, if it's any consolation?
    Yes, my new theory is I'm going to start the movement to get insurance companies, billing offices, and pharmacies to have to log customer time spent fixing their goofs and rebate us at the rate of minimum wage. It would solve all our family income problems. . .I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain things to people when it's their job to know. I'll grant, I have a very high level of knowledge about the way our health care system works at this point, couldn't know more if I had a PHD. But really, if someone is paying you to be able to look at the screen and read the words "blood ketone strips", maybe you could know enough to do that.

Golly, I think I'm in a bad mood today! Sorry!

8. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I think what bothers me is that there's never any acknowledgement that me explaining to them how their business works is not the way it's supposed to be.:(:p

9. MomofSweetOne

Medco this a.m. told me that they don't pay for testing products. I said, "Yes, you do. We test my daughter 9-12 times a day with products we get from you." I was then told I needed to use the correct terminology so their people would understand what I was talking about. I told them they need to train their people that parents of diabetics are testing their kids multiple times a day with either blood or urine tests to keep them out of the hospital. I've spent way too much time today on the phone about diabetes. Especially with Medco.

On a happy note, I found a DME provider (Byram) that works with BCBS that I can get Hypafix from. It will be delivered to my door, and they deal with insurance. That one is making up for the other.

10. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

I hate medco!!!!!!

11. Mom2Av

Mom2Av Approved members

Medco is driving me crazy with blood ketone strips! I called Thursday, and they tell me 50 strips for $15. I ask to make sure they are not talking urine strips, and they tell me I need to find out from my doctor some number I have never heard of. I say, well usually doctors just right out a few words, they don't give you any type of manufacture information or numbers. I was then informed if I wanted accurate information, I had to give them EXACTLY what the manufacture billed as. Ugh!:eek:

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I always have our scrips faxed directly to Medco from our doc. Saves a lot of hassle. This way, they are ordering exactly what we need with the correct numbers and dosing.

Through our insurance, we got 50 Precision strips for 70.00. Not great, but at least they cover them and give us a bit of a break (plan amount would have been $113.50).

13. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We use blood ketone strips all the time. We have medco, and get 20, yes 20 boxes of month in one script. Now, we don't use 20 a month, and we don't fill the script every month, but medco has no issue with covering strips (we also get 450 freestyle strips a month). We've had this script since a few weeks after dx when we were going through them a lot more.

Ketone strips have an expiration date of a year out.

on another note I've been trying to get medco to pay a bill for over a year, I'm sure now its my problem since both medco and MM have dragged their friggen feet. I'm really pissed at MM for this, because they charged my DME insurance for sensors rather than medco, they shipped them out and a month later I got a bill, they are suppose to go under medco, or prescription plan, not DME, but MM wouldn't fix their billing issue.. I refuse to pay it.. so far I've been ok, but they'll be a time that I need to order directly from MM and its not going to go over well.

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

I believe they are talking about the NDC Number. The NDC # for blood ketone strips is: NDC: 57599-0745-01.

15. MomofSweetOne

Our CDE faxed in a prescription to Medco. Yesterday Medco called wondering whether I wanted blood glucose strips or blood ketone strips. The prescription was written for 300 strips, probably because I'd given her the 100 strip info that they'd misgiven me last week. Before telling them to fill it, I asked what it would cost me. $80. Last week I was told 10 strips for $19.75. I asked why. Apparently blood ketone strips are a non-preferred product, so the first $80 is completely out of pocket and after that the bill is paid at 100%. So, if I was given accurate information this time, we should have 300 blood ketone strips arriving next week.:) My daughter is thrilled to be done with urine testing.

16. caspi

caspi Approved members

So that will be 30 boxes of strips. I'm not trying to be a Negative Nelly, but that sounds too good to be true, lol! If they do indeed send 30 boxes of the blood ketone strips, just make sure to keep an eye on the expiration dates. They are rarely more than a year ahead. That's a lot of strips to go through within a year! We get one box (10 strips) per month and I have a stockpile of them.

17. MomofSweetOne

All 300 arrived yesterday with an expiration date 19 months off. I'm so thankful for them!!

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Fingers crossed you won't have to use those!

I was pleasantly surprised to see that our latest shipment expires mid-2013. I'm not used to having such a long expire date on them.

19. caspi

caspi Approved members

That is GREAT news! Hopefully they will expire before you need to use them all. :cwds:

20. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Thats great, hopefully you won't need them all. We test a lot more often for ketones with blood ketone strips that we would if she had to use the urine ones. She developes ketones easily so its nice to have access to these.