advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog about the Telcare meter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by emm142, Jan 10, 2012.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I just saw Scott Johnson's blog about the Telcare meter on Twitter. I know it was posted somewhere on CWD when the meter was initially FDA approved, but the blog makes it sound pretty interesting so I thought I'd share it on here.

BG readings are automatically uploaded to an online logging system, which looks to me like it'd be particularly useful for parents of CWD - I guess that if a child was at school and you were at work/home you'd be able to just look online and check out their recent BG readings without needing a call from the nurse.

It also mentions that it can be set up so that texts are sent to the PWD if BGs are in a particular range - for example, a reminder for ketone testing. That could be useful for some teens who are just taking over diabetes care and might need reminders.

I think it looks pretty cool, myself. And I suck at logging, so it might be nice in that respect as well. :p

ETA: Kerri blogged about it too.

2. Arctic Stamp Queen

Arctic Stamp Queen Approved members

Koolio

Thanks for the link and info Emma...I am seriously looking into getting one of these for my son. He feels like I am constantly nagging him when I ask him to log and the poor nurse is having to email me his numbers every day so that the doctor and I can tweak his dosage...this would be so so helpful with all of that. Not to mention I can be in the know when he goes to scout camp this summer. :)

I just put a call into our case manager to see if she will file for an exception so our insurance will cover the strips. Right now they will not because they are not available at a pharmacy, but they cost about 1/2 the amount of the strips I currently use, so she thinks they are being silly and is going to see if she can get them to override that decision....fingers crossed!