- advertisement -

Bleu cheese????

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by RosebudMama, Oct 2, 2009.

1. RosebudMama

RosebudMama Approved members

Thanks for all the supportive feedback from my previous post. I'm getting used to the celiac dx and finding it surprisingly easy to pass on yummy treats I would have otherwise jumped at. Maybe I'll lose the 30 pounds I've wanted to shed...though I do find that GF cooking uses alot of butter/shortening and whatnot.

ANYWAY...

I. love. bleu. cheese. salad. dressing.

Ummmm...I heard a nasty little rumor that bleu cheese is off limits for me now? WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?

I googled it and seemed to come up with different opinions. Just wondering if anyone from here has any input.

Wendy

2. aklap

aklap Approved members

Hi Wendy,

I rarely cook with butter, but instead use extra virgin olive oil.

Veined Cheese are now considered safe to eat. Yes, there is old and conflicting info out there. Cynthia Kupper [Registered Dietitian, head of Gluten Intolerance Group and celiac herself], stated in April 2009 at the Thrive GF expo in Chicago [I was present], that these cheese are safe.

Canadian Celiac Assoc's stance on veined cheeses (March 2009) - http://www.glutenfreediet.ca/img/bluecheese.pdf

Tricia Thompson [The Gluten Free Dietitian] has this to say about Bleu Cheese

More info here

Now, blue cheese salad dressing is another story - you don't know what else has been added to it... If you purchase Kraft Blue cheese dressing, just read the label, if you don't see the words wheat, barley, rye, malt or oats, you're home free [and gluten free ;)]

Kraft will not hide any form of gluten :D.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  3. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

This is interesting. I had thought that bleu cheese was off limits too.

Good to know!

Kim

4. aklap

aklap Approved members

It was considered off limits. However as things progress - testing is done - people find out that what once was considered off limits, it now acceptable.

This is an ever changing field - both medically and foodically [yeah, I like to create words hehehee]

This is why I don't understand how people that don't constantly keep up with this diet [either online or thru support groups] can get a handle on it. You're either not restrictive enough - or you're over restrictive. Although, it's better safe than sorry ;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  5. RosebudMama

RosebudMama Approved members

THANKS!!!!!!

As for "cooking with butter"...I probably should have said "baking" instead. For some reason, it has been REALLY important to me to KNOW that I can whip up banana bread or chocolate chip cookies or brownies or an apple pie. So, I have. I've been making (and eating) stuff I would haven't worried about before. I just wanted to know that I can make anything necessary on a whim. I guess it just reassures me that Addy gets to participate in whatever she wants and won't feel left out.

In the process, I've gained some weight....and I'm working hard to fix the problem...but, it sure has been yummy!!!!!

6. aklap

aklap Approved members

Heheheee I kind of wondered if you didn't mean baking. ;)

Real butter is great in baking if one can tolerate dairy.

7. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

This is a nice thread to read. Blue cheese was one of my cheats. (along with McDonalds french fries) I just couldn't give either up. Wouldn't feed it to a growing child though.

Glad to know I am now only breaking one Celiac law. :eek::eek:

8. aklap

aklap Approved members

Ummm, you're not even doing that...

Most people think McD's fries are not GF - that's incorrect. Testing has proven otherwise. Cross contamination risks still apply however.

http://graindamaged.blogspot.com/2009/10/mcdonalds-french-fries.html

Here's the history...

http://forums.glutenfree.com/topic1870.html
    http://forums.glutenfree.com/topic2071.html
    http://forums.glutenfree.com/topic6395.html

Now - about that cheating... You do know that each exposure to gluten puts you at higher risk for certain types of cancers, acquiring additional auto-immune disease? Even though you may have an outward reaction - damage is still occurring. Please, think twice or even three times before you cheat, OK? :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009