- advertisement -

Blech! Leaky juice boxes in kit

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by greenpalm, Nov 22, 2013.

1. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

We've had juice boxes start leaking in her kit/back pack twice now. They just wear out at the corners if they don't get used and then a tiny pin prick sized hole starts to leak and everything in there gets sticky and damp.

Anyone have any ideas for a protector or container for the juice box to keep it from springing leaks if it's in the kit and doesn't get used right away?

I was looking at these, but they would only protect one end, the exposed end would still be subject to wear and tear:

http://amzn.com/B0012ULUR4

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We had the same problem but a plastic tub for them made the kit too bulky. These days my daughter carries fruit leathers from Trader Joes. They travel great and lie flat in her kit. We use other sources around home.

3. greenpalm

Yeah, I'm tempted to just forgo the juice boxes. We use Smarties a lot anyway, because they are more granular in dosing ability. (We can give her just 3 or 4 depending on how low she is)

And yes, at home we have a big bottle of juice anyway, and can pour as much or as little as we want in the glass.

Thanks for the input.

4. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

I use plastic soap containers intended for travel to keep my son's juice boxes, pb crackers, and yogurt raisins from getting banged up in his D kit. Works great! :)

Christine

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Sometimes I put them in a ziplock bag - especially in her sports bag as it gets tossed around a lot. I stick to the "juicy juice" brand and the are generally pretty hardy though we've had our share of leaks over the years.

6. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Ziploc bag here, too. Actually Walmart brand - just as tough and cheaper :)

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

We put the juices in a ziplock bag and put them in a plastic pencil case that you can pick up at Target at back to school time for around 50 cents. We also use the Juicy Juice brand. We tried doing strictly glucose tabs, which are much easier to carry, but for some reason, even at 15, juice works faster on my son.

The irony is that I never allowed him to drink juice boxes when he was little, pre-D, when everyone at the playground was drinking them and he thought they were "so cool". Now they're a staple in our house as a teen. ;)

8. MissionsMom

MissionsMom Approved members

Soap containers! We use one to protect the juice that's in my son's backpack for emergencies. When traveling, we have a small "lunch box" that's also hard plastic. Got that one from a Six Flags kids meal. It will hold like 4 juices at a time. Speaking of containers, we use a hard eye glass case to carry syringes and insulin right now. The size is perfect, and we can get all we need in there: four or five syringes, Humalog, Lantus, alcohol swabs, maybe an airhead too.

9. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

When Dani was small, we would get the gerber apple juice that came in a plastic screw top lid. Take the label off so there is no "baby" stigma & it is good for the backpack.

Anymore, we just carry tabs. If we take juice boxes we put in a ziplock bag. The soap container is a good idea too.

10. greenpalm

Thanks! Great suggestions!