- advertisement -

Bittersweet moment - have to share

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HanksMom, Oct 16, 2011.

1. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

We just passed the one-year mark this week, so there have been a lot of emotions from both my husband and myself. This morning at church though, something incredible happened. I happened to be in the nursery with Hank during church today just by coincidence. He was happily playing, and we had tested him a little earlier after having twenty goldfish in Sunday School and we had bolused accordingly. He all of a sudden stopped playing, went over to his bag, and said, "mommy, sugar now." (He calls his glucometer "sugar"). I asked him if we needed to check his sugar, and he replied yes, and said, "cookies, now". He was 61. I have been pretty sure that he feels a drop in blood sugar through hunger, but he hasn't ever verbally associated checking his sugar with food. At not even 2 1/2, I was both amazed and proud, and a little sad.

Just had to share...

2. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Bittersweet indeed, but so glad he's learning to vocalize his lows.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Wow! Very bittersweet, but a big well done to Hank. (He's doing better than me.. I don't recognise my lows!)

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Kim, I can see how that would hurt your heart and fill it with pride at the same time. That sweet little boy is going to be just fine. He is going places Momma, you mark my words:cwds:

5. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

Awwww... bitter sweet is right. What a terrific little boy :cwds:

I have always wondered how "pre-verbal" kids communicate their lows.

6. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Awesome moment and one you will always remember. Our son was dx around the same age as yours (12 mos old) and the first time he dragged the diaper bag over to me and said "juice, juice" ( sounded more like "gwooce" lol)is something I'll never forget. Bravo to him for knowing he was low. :cwds:

7. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Shouldn't cry now - am by the pool watching K have swim lessons. But I so want to bawl. Okay, I am a big ol' crybaby.
    Well done Hank. These kids do learn a lot of things (necessary) faster. They need to.

8. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Way to go Hank for knowing you need to test and feeling your low blood sugar. It is bittersweet. It is something that children should not have to deal with but at the same time, I am so proud of him as I know you as his mother are even more so.

9. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

Thanks everyone for understanding! He's a pretty great little guy!