- advertisement -

birthday party question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by samheis, Oct 18, 2009.

1. samheis

samheis Approved members

Sam is eating lunch right now (12 pm) he's 123, and got .5 humolog.

Party starts at 2. Skating first, then food. I don't usually do shots outside of breakfast/lunch/dinner. So my question is how soon could he get a correction to cover all the carbs he'll be getting?
    Also I plan on using a higher target, and an adjusted ratio and correction factor to balance the skating. Does this sound like a good plan?
    How often would you check during a 3 hour period with lots of skating and lots of junk food?

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Anita, such fun for Sam!:D He wont need a correction at the party but you will want to give him some insulin to cover the carbs. Its a shame they wont eat and then skate as the activity would burn some of that cake and ice cream nicely. He still will be reved up from the activity when he eats so its a good idea to cut back on insulin a bit. Also if its just cake it will be more fast acting carbs then if its cake and ice cream as the ice cream will slow things down a bit. As far as checking, I would check before he starts skating and depending on BGs maybe give him a bit of juice and a pb cracker to keep him from dropping. If it were Steven I would probably check every hour as activity tends to drive STeven low.