- advertisement -

Birthday party lows?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JJsMomma, Mar 29, 2010.

1. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

Both days this weekend we had a party for JJ. Lots of activity with kids and cake. Both times he shot up super high (without eating much) and then spent the night battling the lows. In one case we corrected the high at the time, and second time didn't as her was super active. How do we avoid this cycle in the future?

2. Toni

Toni Banned

If he did not eat much, highs were from excitement, maybe, and I have no experience with highs from excitement or adrenaline highs. Regarding lows overnight, if a child is active, the body steals back glucose from the blood to build up its glucose stores. So if active, we reduce basal insulin overnight with the pump. With Lantus, I would guess you would have to reduce it to avoid the overnight lows or carb him up to a safe point before bed. And do overnight checks that night. Reducing Lantus could backfire the next day, though I'm sure we would have reduced it. I'm sure the MDIers will all chip in.

3. joan

joan Approved members

My son was always low after parties. All the running around and he never sat down to eat because he was so excited. On those types of nights I would decrease the basal or give him a good snack before bed and then check during the night. As far as correcting, maybe half a correction if he is running around or no correction depending on his number.

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

We had party for my son on Saturday, 20 kids! Needless to say lots of activity. He was low all throughout the evening... At bed time we gave him lots of carbs to get him up to what we hoped was a "safe" number and then checked him at 5 am (bedtime was 2:30 am with kids sleeping over) -- he was 252 at 5 am .. maybe we over-carbed him?!! :p We are relatively new at this so I'm hoping we did the right thing!

5. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

this is something I've been wondering about myself...

We never know what we're going to get at a birthday party- sometimes we get highs then lows later on, sometimes we get stubborn highs that take all day to get down and sometimes lows that take all day (and night!) to get up (2 hr skating party= low, 2hr swimming party=high, same amount of food, cake is always in place of his regular snack) best I can figure is that it depends on his emotional state. I don't know how to predict what going to happen or what to do about it to avoid a swing in the other direction later on... so much yet to learn. I'm sorry I don't have any insights :(

6. linda

linda Approved members

Could have been a rebound. :confused:

7. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

I don't know all the lingo yet, can you please explain the "rebound"...what does this mean? Thanks so much!

8. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Sounds very typical for that age. The shooting up high is probably from adreneline/excitement. Then the lows at night are probably delayed lows from extra exercise/activities at the party.

I can't remember, are you pumping? If you are, you can mess with temp basals -- increase it during the party and decrease it afterwards.

If you are on MDI, that's a bit more tricky.....I would lower the lantus by just a bit, and count on the extra activity to bring numbers down. Dealing with highs during the day is much easier than dealing with stubborn lows at night.

ETA I just saw you are MDI.

Type of food at parties also really affects blood sugar. Frosting on cake just kills us. It has fast carbs (sugar) and the really high fat content makes bs spike terribly at about 4 hours. Throw in pizza on top of that and it's really really difficult if you are on MDI without a CGMS. Lots of testing, lots of corrections.