- advertisement -

Birthday party invite

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by samheis, Oct 15, 2009.

1. samheis

samheis Approved members

It's something I've been dreading, but I knew he would be invited to one eventually. It's at a skating rink this coming Sunday

The thing is, it's not the diabetes so much that I'm worried about. I've been socially anxious for such a long time. I've come a long way with it-I can handle doctors appointments, talking to teachers, calling people-things that used to be really hard for me. That's one thing I can (strangely) thank diabetes for-it's forced me to communicate with people.

But, the idea of sitting at a table with a bunch of mom's (or dad's) that I don't know makes me so nervous! Add in that I'll have to be dealing with Sam's blood sugar, and all the fun surprises that a birthday party can bring (birthday cake, pizza, and roller skating-oh my:eek:). I'm having a panic attack just thinking about it. Heck, I don't even have the courage to call the mom to RSVP.

How do I shove past my own stupid fears? Please tell me I'm not the only one that deals with this sort of anxiety.

Not to mention, what fun things can I look forward to as far as d management?

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

I go to skating parties cause I'm weird like that! I love to roller skate - and it is great because you don't have to interact as much...

3. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I don't particularily like events like this either. I wouldn't say I would panic in such a situation but I don't enjoy them and unless I know the other parents I don't talk much. Just smile and respond to any small talk that comes your way.

And think of it as yet another way that D has made you face your fears.

As far as the skating, the cake and the D care goes, I hope someone else can help you out. Alex was beyond that stage at dx. I would think the activitiy of the skating would probably take care of the cake eating. But it's something you'd have to watch....does he end up skating alot or just watching? Does eat a lot of cake? etc.

Good luck!

4. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I used to have some of those anxieties -- birthday parties from daycare with parents I didn't know. I was scared they already knew each other and I would be the outsider. As it turns out I spent most of the time with my kid, sure he would go off for a little bit but would always want me close. Granted he was 2.5 when all this started but now, I know all the parents from the "birthday party circuit" and some of them are great friends.

My suggestion would be to go and figure you going to have a good time with your son, if you happen to talk to other parents then great!

Good luck, I imagine it's really tough having social anxiety.

5. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I always take a good book with me so if the conversations start to drag on, etc., I just excuse myself to a corner and read my book for a while.

6. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

I would bring a good book, or strap on some skates and show those kids how it's done! :) I tend to hang out by myself at these things because I love to watch how much fun my kids are having. Just remember that these parties are teaching them how socialize - so it's a good thing.

As far as the pizza and treats - he'll be getting so much exercise that's he'll probably need the extra carbs the treats will provide.

Good luck, you will be fine - just sit and watch the joy on your son's face and hopefully that will ease some of your anxiety.

7. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I'm sorry you are facing such anxiety, that must be so hard!!

It will be a good opportunity to get to know other parents, and to let them see you do d care. Chances are he will be invited to more parties and soon enough parents will just drop off. I like to know the parents before I just drop my kid off somewhere, so take the chance to get to know them--you never know, you may just find yourself friends with some of them

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Anita I am so like that too:cwds: Im very outgoing in here but when I have to go to b'day partys with Steven I dont know what to say. I will usually wait for some chatterbox to strike up a conversation about the kids or school, something I feel comfortable with and be able to talk without feeling faint. As far as the party food ask the hostess when different things will be served so you can kind of figure out when to test. It would be easier if the meal food and cake were served right after but thats not usually the case. Hope you guys have fun!:)

9. samheis

samheis Approved members

Thank you guys! I worry so much about social things lol. Trust me, y'all will never see me at a ffl conference. I prefer to hide behind the computer screen-and even then I worry.

But, I made myself call and RSVP. His mom was so sweet.

Of course, on the menu is cake, hot dog or pizza, chips, and ice cream:eek:

Heck, these special days don't happen often, so I'll just wing it and hope for the best with his numbers. Otherwise ya'll will see me on here looking for advise Sunday night.

10. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

I just always try and remember to interact by asking questions of others. I suppose you could even think about what you could ask before you get to the party. I used to be very shy, but people that know me now don't believe it because I have gotten used to pushing the fear aside.

11. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Good for you that you are going! To ease some concerns-you could call the birthday mom and ask for food specifics so you could get good carb counts before you get there. If you skate, then you won't have to sit with the other adults! I don't like going to parties when I don't know the adults-I'm an older mom and most think I'm Ab's grandma or too far removed from the drama of their conversations. Have fun! Skating parties are great.

12. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

Bring a magazine, it looks more "social" to flip through, maybe a D magazine that they give out free at walgreen or such. You can talk if someone talks to you since mags are considered light reading, but someone may not want to interrupt you if you have a book. Or they may see a recipe or hairstyle in it that they want, so it also brings up conversation.

How do I know this? Because I have the same problem. I was always told I would grow out of this anxiousness if I just got out more, or pushed myself to talk more; but no, that never happened for me. Pushing myself makes my anxiety worse. I just sit around, look thru mags or pamphlets, pick up a brochure as if I want to have dc's party there too, and I talk to anyone who talks to me and I smile a lot.

PS: it is very brave of you to do this, it takes a lot of guts to rsvp, you are a great mom to your kid!
    pps: my dd's first skating party while honeymooning (is your son honeymooning) she worked off her pizza and cake so she didnt need (Humalog)insulin or very little (she was on lantus). And I had spent so much time researching cake/pizza carb counts.