- advertisement -

birthday parties

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by gargipant, Sep 9, 2010.

1. gargipant

gargipant Approved members

mihika has reached an age where moms are no longer required to be around. with close friends' kids parties, i hang around and do the usual. but with her school friends, its awkward. i don't know most of the parents. while other parents drop their kids and are off, i hang around and try to make myself useful. i feel lost and awkward with their friends and family. its a pain to explain why i am there. i don't want mihika to miss out on anything that's why we attend all the parties she wants to. what do you guys do? is there any way out? she is too young to be left alone even with a cell phone, though she can check herself and bolus.

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Well how old is she, how long has she had D, what is her level of self-care? I've only left dd at a party once, age 7, she called a couple of times, but i was a mess. I guess it depends. I owuld in someone's house but there was a pool party I couln't attend and I just couldn't leave her and let someone else be responsible for her pump etc. at the pool.

I think you should start slowly with playdates and work your way up.

3. simom

simom Approved members

My son is six and can do his own fingerpokes. Sometimes we stay to help (if we don't know the parents very well) - an extra grown up is rarely a bad thing. Sometimes - if there's an activity, and food is later (example, bowling, then cake) we leave for a while and come back at food time to kind of supervise serving size and bolus. If we know the parents well, often we will just have him do his own finger poke, and then have the parent call and we talk them through the bolus over the phone - we do this for playdates too.

4. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

Honestly, I stay, and also hontesly, I explain why
    To me it is better for the kids that she goes to school with and their
    parents to be educated about her, my dd also has celiac so I have to contact
    them before the party anyways so I can bring her food
    my dd is almost 8 and can do selfcare with one phone call to confirm bolus, but for
    now I stay, I help or stay out of the way.

Bring a book just in case, it is unfortunately part of life, from now on for us.
    I wish I could leave soccer practice, parties, etc, but I also wish she did not have T1 and Celiac, we have to do what we have to do.

Good Luck!

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I would stay if you don't know the parents. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with being overly cautious.
    It may make the parents more at ease to see what is involved with D care for future playdates.

I'm one of those parents who won't leave my kids with people I don't know.

6. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

When I RSVP I let them know and then reassure the parent that I'll be there at the party to handle any of her needs - and that she doesn't need anything special. Then when I'm there I ask if I can help with the party. It seems like there's always more to do than the birthday parents can handle. Usually another parent or two also stays so I'm never alone - and it can be a great way to get to know other families.

7. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

From ages 3 - 9 I stayed. I would ask about the food and the timeline ahead of time. But, sometimes things are a little loose at parties (one activity is so much fun the food and cake will be delayed for instance) so I always opted to be around to judge first shots and then boluses.

I always made myself as helpful as possible. Set-up, meal server, cleanup. I never wanted to be in the way of the host parents.

Dd is 11 now and has a cellphone, she can carb count and uses the scale. She went to a party last night and even had trifle (which I just learned is on the Salter travel scale!). So now I leave.

8. gargipant

gargipant Approved members

mihika is 6, yesterday we completed 1 yr of d. dh and i are primary caretakers. she is very eager to learn to use her pump (she csn bolus and check bg and its always under our supervision). i guess its better to be around than biting your nails at home.