- advertisement -

Birthday Cake or Cupcake??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by heamwdevine, Feb 23, 2009.

1. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

My daughter's birthday just passed and I couldn't make her a cake or cupcake without it being too much carbs (I could've figured it out if I had more time) with a coconut flour recipe, but she wouldn't have been able to eat lunch if she'd have had regular store bought or homeade cake. Thankfully, my sweet little girl said she didn't want cake, just wanted me to lay with her while she fell asleep and strawberries would be fine cause cake makes her feel sick.

However, when we pass the cake she had wanted in the store she gets sad and says she really wanted that cake. (She had picked it out before DX). It sounds like those of you with a pump can just enter an amount to cover it, but with NPH and Novolog we are stuck with the certain carbs, right? Will I learn how to adjust things for something like this? Her brother's birthday is Wednesday and I'd like to have cake or cupcakes she can have but have not had time to find alternative recipes where she'll be able to have pizza and cake without going over.

Am I stuck with using the recipes with artificial sweeteners for her to be able to have some as she does not like the taste of these things?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I will let the NPH experts give you specific advice, but I will say you don't have to be on a pump to cover carbs with insulin. I do it every day and Danielle gets to eat whatever she wants (within reason, of course). It may be worth talking to your Endo to see if you can switch to a different regimen of insulin that would let you be more flexible. Or at least learn more about NPH to be able to let your daughter enjoy the treats she would like to have once in a while. I personally stay away from the artificial sweeteners, as they tend to have some unwanted side effects (tummy upset, bad taste, etc).

Good luck....:cwds:

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

My daughter went to a birthday party a couple of weeks after her diagnosis, while we were still in the stage of not really knowing how to work with NPH. What we did was have her normal lunch, but since we were covering dinner with Humalog, the cake and ice cream was her dinner that night (I know, whatever). If the party had been lunchtime, I would have happily made the cake her lunch, and given her healthier (close to) carb-free fare, like celery with peanut butter, string cheese - things like that.

4. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I am assuming that you have a sliding scale for her Novolog based on her blood sugar?

When Tyler was on NPH and Novolog if he wanted more than his "fixed amount" of carbs with a meal, I would give him extra insulin (novolog) with his shot, I received this amount from the endo, for example for xx amount of "extra" carbs give xx amount extra of novolog.

Call your daughter endo and ask about this.

5. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

As Chris said, you may want to ask about using another regimen; Lantus along with Humalog/Novalog instead of NPH. As I understand it, NPH is less flexible as far as how many carbs you can eat at certain times. As long as you track insulin on board when using Humalog/Novalog (they are pretty interchangeable) you can bolus when needed for snacks, treats, larger meals, etc.

I know there are some on the board that do amazing things with NPH, so they may come on and offer advice, also.

Good luck!

6. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Tyler is on NPH.

The first thing our Diabetes team told us (and still tell us) is that Tyler is a kid first.

We work on the theory that birthdays, easter and christmas only come once a year. For that day, we let Tyler eat what he wants. If he goes high we know why and deal with it later. We don't want him to look back and remember his childhood as being ruled by D meaning he missed out on 'kid' things.

In fact, Tyler is going to his best mates birthday this weekend. They are going out for dinner. He knows that this is a special occasion so he can 'go for it'. We will sort out problems when and if they arise. And so far, on these occasions he has only gone slightly out of range and we have not corrected at all.

So if she wants cake on her birthday, I say let her have cake!

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I would call your endo and tell them what you want to do. I can't give you specific advice, but I'm sure there is a way for your daughter to have cake occasionally, even on NPH.

I would also recommend talking to your endo about moving to Lantus/Humalog. It is much easier to deal with situations like this one on a regimen like that.

8. heamwdevine

We haven't been taught the sliding scale yet. But good to know we will learn something like this. So you just don't worry about it the few times it happens and they just get high? Come to think of it, the times the party is before she's even supposed to eat lunch.hmm I'll have to ask her endo about this.

9. danismom79

How many carbs does she get for lunch? NPH does lend itself to some grazing, but I always tried to stay within her set amount of carbs.

10. heamwdevine

she gets 45g for lunch (1200) but the party is 10-1130. do I have the freedom to let her eat a slice of pizza and a cupcake at 11ish?

11. etringali

etringali Approved members

We don't use a sliding scale, but we do use a carb factor of .6 for cakes. Thus far this has worked quite well. So weigh a slice of cake X .6 and you'll get the carb amount.

12. danismom79

Depending on the size of each, I would say yes. The peak will eventually catch up to tackle it, and may even be better considering that pizza tends to give people a delayed high (these "ancient" insulins are still very useful in certain situations ;)). Any time I try something new, I just test a little more often.

13. heamwdevine

good to know!

wow, some freedom!

14. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Heather,

My son was dx last month and they gave us a choice between NPH and MDI (multiple daily injections of Lantus and Humalog). We chose MDI, and it has given us the flexibility to count carbs and bolus for them from day-1...just like the pumpers. It does require more injections, but the carb counting and bolusing is fairly straight-forward. Because of it, my son enjoys cake, ice cream and desserts at all parties and school celebrations just like all of the other kids.

I highly recommend that you inquire about the regimen. I know I personally would have been very unhappy with all of the NPH restrictions.

15. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

Kids tend to run around a lot at birthday parties too, so even if she does go over a bit on the carbs, she may very well burn off the extra carbs. I've also found that my dd eats less than I expect her to at parties, she's too busy having fun to eat.

Someone is always here to help if you get stuck. :cwds:

I'm going to PM you- I think you mentioned in a previous thread that you are in PA- we are too. That sounds like the exact regimen we came home on from Pittsburgh Chidren's Hospital. Maybe we are neighbors?:D

16. MichS

MichS Approved members

Heather,
    My son is on NPH and novolog. It sounds like you are on a fixed dose and fixed carbs? If you are giving him NPH in the morning, then an earlier lunch (pizza and cupcake) might not be that bad. The cupcake might make his bg go high initially, but then the NPH will act and take it down. Many people talk about pizza and how it will make the bg go high many hours later. So, your daughters bg might go high later in the afternoon.
    Do you give a shot of novolog at lunch? Do you have a correction factor if she is high?
    I try to let my son be a kid first. I tried to substitute things like giving him diet pop at a birthday party (which he always snuck sips of my diet pepsi anyway!). But he LOVES pizza and icing on cakes. He went to a bday party just a few weeks after dx and it wasn't so bad. I did check him more often, and gave an extra 0.5 u of rapid to help bring his bg down.
    Good luck! Let us know how you made out.

17. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

with Tony's second birthday, we had him eat cake for his lunch when he was on nph. Not the healthiest lunch, but it's only once a year ;)
    For his third, he's on lantus and novolog, so we had a regular lunch, then a store bought cupcake that had carbs listed on the package. Much easier!

18. heamwdevine

no I'm a little frustrated they didn't give me a correction factor now that i know about it. my daughters readings have been quite high a lot and there really isn't as much support as i would have expected in our first three weeks home. maybe they wait until our first appt back which is this thursday. in our notebook from the hospital there is a big section for dose adjustment but it is empty. we were there on a weekend so that could be why:rolleyes: or they may wait until we come back.

19. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

How many carbs can she have per meal? Is it enough normally? Because it can be changed...

An average cupcake is about 30 grams

20. Shirley and Jamie V.

Shirley and Jamie V. Approved members

I'm with the gang. Call your endo. SInce the party is early in the day, maybe you can "correct" at dinner. You may not have a "correction factor" yet, but your doctor should be able to help. We found that kids don't eat as much cake as you think either. My girls like my cake (usually from scratch) and rarely eat store bought.

Good luck to you and your family. These early days are hard, but it does get easier.