- advertisement -

Birthday and school

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ange_mom, Oct 28, 2008.

1. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

My son's teacher wonderfully asked this year if the parents would try to do something other than food for the class on birthdays because of David's diabetes. That was very nice of her, however, I am trying to think of something inexpensive to send in to celebrate his birthday. Any ideas?

2. mommyofAx4

mommyofAx4 Approved members

maybe a craft that the kids can do. one year i went and boiught like pop cycle sticks and the foam things and and i glued the pop cycle sticks to make a square and then let them glue the foam things on it then they glued a magnet to it it was a cute little pic frame to hang on the fridge and not expensive the kids really enjoyed it you can even by the foam things in maybe a certain thing that interest your son we used sea life items cause that was what they were working on in school

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I like to get little things from Oriental Trading. Things usually come in packs of a dozen for like $5.

4. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

We always go buy our favorite book and donate it to the class library. We have a Half Price Books nearby so it's even less expensive. Last year, I spent the same amount of money at Half Price Books as I would have on treats and came away with 14 books for the class...Madison and I wrapped them in a box and gave them as a gift to the class to celebrate her birthday. The teacher was stunned and elated...so were the students. It has now become a habit to donate your favorite book to the class.

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I have always sent in pencils. Tylers birthday is in October, so it's easy to find package of holidays themed pencils.

6. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

Thanks. those are some great ideas. I have an Oriental Trading catalogue. I may check with David's teacher to see if I could go in and do a craft with them.