- advertisement -

Birth Control

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abuchanan, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

It was suggested to me that I start Makaela on Birth control as soon as she starts her period because of the health risk involved if she were to get pregnant. But shes 10. She hasnt started yet, but i know its coming soon because of develpment in some areas for almost a year now! I dont want to give her Birth Control and her think its ok to have sex cause she wont get pregnant, but I dont want to lie to her and tell her its a vaccination (depo shot) or an allergy pill. Does anyone have any comments or thoughts on this.

2. bogusrogus

bogusrogus Approved members

Boy, that's a touchy subject!
    My oldest (non-D) is 13, she is not on the pill. I feel that she needs is still a child in some since of the word, where I going with this is that unless your daughter has really bad periods and they are not under control, I would hold off, IMHO. Only because BC pills can you nauseous, maybe it should be your call.

3. JenFur

JenFur Approved members

My oldest is almost 10, and the thought of that to me crazy. I would not do it. She is faaaar from being at risk for pregnancy so why would I want to have her taking birth control as soon as she starts. I don't want her taking medication for years if she does not need it. IMO

Jennifer

4. Abuchanan

Well I work in labor and delivery and see 12 year olds delivering all the time. So Im not sure how far Makaela is from that. They dont always tell us stuff! Thats my only concern.

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

At one CWD FFL conference, an endocrinologist who specializes in treating adolescents/young adults, Dr. Satish Garg from BDC, was very clear that he felt it's preferable for women with diabetes to avoid birth control pills due to the risks.

Oral Contraceptives, Angiotensin-Dependent Renal Vasoconstriction, and Risk of Diabetic Nephropathy http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/28/8/1988

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  6. Boo

Boo Approved members

Unless you would consider doing this for her if she was NOT diabetic, I wouldn't consider it at all. I personally think it is ridiculous, but I don't know you or your daughter, nor do I know the lifestyle that you live. Unless you truely believe that this is a distinct possibility with her, I see it as unneccessary and sending the wrong message.

I went on birth control in college...trying to be responsible while dating my boyfriend (now husband). Within a month, I was hospitalized with a deep vein blood clot...a direct result of birth control. These are the dangerous kind that can break off and travel to your lungs causing potentially fatal pulmonary embolisms. I was (and still am) a non-smoker, and had no previous history with circulatory issues. There are risks to birth control pills.

7. Abuchanan

i live a very noraml and healthy lifesytle. I dont condone sex, drugs, drinking or smoking. Like I said prior, I work in labor and delivery and see kids not much older than her getting pregnant all the time. I know the risk of birth control. I am very aware of those risk beings i work in obgyn. My question is bascially is the risk of her getting pregnant higher than the risk of DVT. What could happen if she were to get pregnant. Is she at higher risk of DVT because shes diabetic. I am not a person that believes that just because I talk to my child about sex and warn them about it and the consquinces, that they will listen to me. All a parent can do is talk! I can shelter her, her whole life to make sure she dosent have sex until she is married, but what kind of life would that be for her. I just have to trust her. But there is a part of me that says that you cant trust a teenager who has massive peer pressure. Should I take precautionary actions? Talking is only talk and it dosent make your child mind these request. I know this because to be honest I didnt listen to my mom and Makaela was the result of that at 18 years old. And I feel that the more open minded i am about the situtation the better off my child will be.

8. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

DH and I plan on getting Julia the HPV vac when she is old enough because it will protect her for life. We're just going to say it protects her against an illness. But birth control is a whole other ball of worms. I've had painful cramps all of my life, they get so bad that I double over. I started on Birth control at 11 for that reason, but without that, I don't know.
    I probably wouldn't start my child until I felt like there might be a risk of sex being an issue. Birth control isn't a license to do it BTW, kids WILL do it either way if they are going to do it. It's just arming them with protection. Question is, does your 10 yr old need protection?

9. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

10. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I think the pill is bad in general...let alone for a 10 year old or so. Read "What your Doctor hasn't Told you About Breast Cancer". I was on it at 17 until my mid 20's...never again. After my mother died of breast cancer I started reading...and this book opened my eyes. Whether you believe it or not, that is your decision. But the basic idea is that progesterone is GOOD. It balances estrogen. When you are on the pill you don't make progesterone and the fake stuff in the pill doesn't count. Unbalanced estrogen is bad. That is the simplest way I can explain it.

11. Caynuns mom

Caynuns mom Approved members

My 13 yr old will be put on the pill here shortly not because she's active or showing signs of being active but she unfortunately inherited excruciating cramps and excessive flow from me. She also is very aware that the pill is not 100% protection from getting pregnant because she is the result of the pill and a condom. When the higher power has a plan theres nothing you can do to change it!:)

12. lisalotsamom

lisalotsamom Approved members

I would never put a young adolescent on hormonal birth control. There have been no studies showing the safety of it in young girls, and I'm not a fan of any hormonal methods anyway. I could go on and on, but I won't.

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

I would only put my child on the pill if there where menstrual problems. If, worst case scenario, she does get preggers, then we deal then...and it is safe now a days to be preggers and Type 1.

Putting a 13 yr old on the pill is so objectionable to me, unless she is sexually active - which I KNOW happens - alot. All I know is that me and my girls talk alot about sex. My oldest asked me if I wanted her to wait until she got married. I told her no, just until she was 38. But I told her for real, until her and the man she loved made the decision. But they had to be together a long time and he cold not be pressuring her - so I figure 38 is a good age.

I also live in Maine, where a middle school recently started putting children 11 and up on the pill without having to get parents permission. If the parent says they can go to the school nurse, the kid can get the pill....

Putting a young teenager on the pill, just in case, before even showing signs of being sexually active, is like spending 25 grand on a new roof, just because it might leak one day...

14. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

I would only do it if she had menstrual problems, just not for birth control

15. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Most women with diabetes get and carry very healthy normal pregnancies. Unless you'd contemplate putting your 10 year old on birth control otherwise, I wouldn't do it just because of the diabetes.

16. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I wouldn't do it.