- advertisement -

Bionic Pancreas in Kids at Camp

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by badshoe, Sep 5, 2013.

1. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

diaTribe has a great piece up about the Boston University AP trials in kids at camp. Fantastic read.
    http://www.diatribe.org/issues/57/learning-curve

One participant said, ?I have done my diabetes management for 14 years, and this is exponentially better than I have ever done.?

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My kids had mentioned that they talked about the study while at camp. They weren't there the week that the study was happening, but it was a pretty hot topic and they thought it was pretty cool.

3. ChaosRules

ChaosRules Approved members

Wow, that sounds great! What a gift it must be not to have to think about management, even for a few days.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I get very excited when I read about these trials; the participants all seem thrilled with the results.

I looked at a slideshow recently of insulin pumps from "way back" to now and when I see the "bulky" bionic pancreases in these trials, I think about those first insulin pumps and know this is just the beginning for our kids.

I'm very hopeful that my daughter will (even if no cure develops) live a long, healthy life with not just well controlled, but bionically well controlled blood sugars, and much less active thinking about her condition than today.

5. minniem

minniem Approved members

Thanks for sharing. It brings tears to my eyes, thinking how much my son would love this!! To not have to think about every bite of food you eat all the time...what a concept for these kids.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Very exciting! If you look at the picture close up of where they have the sites and the Dexcom on, it looks like they have a thick clear piece under the Dex and more different tape on top. The clear tape doesn't look like opsite or IV 3000. It has a thickness look to it. I would love to know if they are using this to help prevent allergies from tape and what brand of tape they are using.

7. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

My husband, t1d for quite a while now, read the article after I did and even he was excited. That says a lot after years of hearing about the next miracle cure/treatment around the corner. This is definitely something I would love to support more and am looking into how we can.

8. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I suspect someone from this site knows someone affiliated with the trial, or is one degree away, and can get you a contact. Hopefully you'll get a PM soon.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

You can always contact Barton Center and they can point you in the right direction. They are very good about getting back to emails. info@bartoncenter.org

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

11. ChaosRules

Thinking about this more, I guess they're not confirming Dexcom numbers? Just relying totally on the Dexcom data? It sounds like the kids can pretty much forget they have diabetes for the time they're wearing these (except for changing the paraphernalia once a day), but maybe I'm reading too much into the article.

Maybe they are still testing with a finger prick throughout the day and correcting as needed. But if not, I wonder why the CGM doesn't work so well for us, and why Dexcom still recommends we test 4 times a day to calibrate it and do a finger prick to confirm any highs or lows before treating.

Just my musings - I've been thinking about this a lot with high hopes!

Momattorney, I had the same thought about the bulkiness! To think how far T1D testing and treatment has come in just the last 10 years, let alone 50, is pretty amazing. I have a friend (in her 50's) whose brother is T1D and she remembered as a kid they only way they knew he was high was when his urine had glucose in it! No blood tests at home.

I've always told my son that I doubt he'll have to manage his diabetes throughout his life the way he does today - it'll just get better and better.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

No, the whole point of the AP is NOT to correct, not to override. I believe that they are still doing finger sticks every two hours and possibly calibrating but the whole point of it is to let the algorithm do it's job.

13. ChaosRules

Finger sticks every two hours seems like a lot! I guess if they're testing and calibrating the G4 that often, it would be more reliable. But having to check BG that often would still be a major thing to have to do every day - it would be a deal breaker for my son, at least at this point in his life.

But I'm sure that as CGM technology improves. a bionic pancreas won't need so much attention.

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

No, that's not a function of the AP, that's a function of the study safety measures. It's a trial, not an end product demonstration. Obviously they won't be marketing an AP that requires 12 calibrations a day, that would be pointless.

The goal of the AP is to be reliable - so reliable that testing and calibrating and bolusing and correcting won't be needed. period.