- advertisement -

Bike Riding Lows

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Anyelday, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Anyelday

Anyelday Approved members

I am sure this is a YDMV thing but I am wondering how people approach activities like bike riding or playing at the park where the amount of time your child will be playing is not set in stone. With the weather getting nicer my daughter has been riding her bike a lot more and so we have been seeing some lower numbers. Do you give uncovered snacks? Have them sip something while riding? She is 5 and usually just riding up and down the street with friends but I never know if she will do it for 5 minutes, 10 minutes or 30 minutes because the kids go from one activity to the next.

There have also been a few times where one of the neighbor parents took the kids for a ride around the neighborhood. I have a 3 year old and a 2 month old so I usually can't go with them. I want her to be able to go with them but then worry about her the entire time she is gone...

2. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

My DS is a teenager, and I still don't know what he'll be doing either. He went for a "calm ride" the other day, and came home panting and sweaty from riding so hard and joining a basketball game for a few minutes. Luckily, he'd been having trouble with highs that day, so it didn't drop him low.

We estimate how long he'll be gone, and he covers beforehand. Before he had a cell phone, we used good walkie talkies (they have a 2 mile range, and he's not allowed out of the 1 mile radius of our neighborhood, so they work everywhere). I'd "call" him when he had to come check in. He'd come home for a snack, then go back out if he wanted to.

I also make him carry a pack of skittles, just in case.

3. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

My son is SOOOO sensitive to exercise that we currently suspend the pump for any type of exercise. That is a major benefit of the pump. Even with that option, he still goes low a lot.

If we didn't have the pump, he would probably have to start every exercise period with 15 carbs and consume another 15 carbs every 30 minutes....and the carb consuming would continue into the night.

4. Anyelday

Great idea! I bought the kids Walkie Talkies for x-mas so we have some that should work. Will have to test them out this week.

5. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

when I'm not sure how long I'll be doing something active (I babysit, you never know how long your going to do anything ;-) ) I will eat small amounts of carbs at frequent intervals. Ex while bouncing on a trampoline (which requires about 20 carbs for roughly 30 minutes) I'd eat a starburts or two every five minutes or so depending on how active I was being.

I know your daughter is young... maybe just plan on a set amount of time (30 minutes or something ) have her eat enough carbs for that amount of exercise and if she stops sooner cover the extra carbs.

6. shannong

shannong Approved members

Bike riding and just general running around playing tag, etc. and I will give my son uncovered snack to keep him from going low. I basically figured out that for every 1hr. of exercise he needs 9 grams of carbs. I would just keep track of bg.'s and exercise time, until you can come up with some kind of formula for how many carbs they will need. You could try giving small amounts and increase as the duration of exercise increases. There are definitely times when I have given my son the carbs up front for the exercise, and then for some reason the exercise didn't happen. I will either then, just dose him for it or I will suggest we play a game that will keep him moving and having fun at the same time.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I always just had her test before heading out and treated based on that. The actual number of uncovered carbs for my kid would vary depending on when she last ate, what she last ate, how long ago, IoB, the weather, etc etc - you know - all that stuff that you just factor in without thinking. But generally speaking, at that age, it always seemed safer to carb her up a bit and give her a juice box to take along and deal with the resulting # when she got back.

It's good that you don't hold her back:cwds:

8. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

When we are out as a family we check at drink breaks and have a snack if needed. If he went out with a neighbor then the I would make the neighbor aware of his needs which would depend on the length of the ride/playtime, etc. I would give him 20-30 uncovered carbs before he left. I rarely suspend the pump because it causes him to be high later on.

9. Anyelday

Thanks everyone!

Right now I feel so limited because she gets 1/2 unit for 30 carbs so unfortunately if I give her too many and she ends up a little high it is hard to cover a small amount of extra. We are looking into the pump at her next visit...

10. Anyelday

I feel blessed that she has friends that live on both sides of our house so she was able to go play with friends just a day after getting home from the hospital. I can watch her over the fence and keep in text contacts with the parents. One of the mom's is a PICU nurse and Eliza was in her unit after diagnosis. I LOVE that she can go play with friends and still be close...