- advertisement -

BGs post Celiac Dx

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Chippy28, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

I have been told and have read in a few places that BGs are supposed to become more stable after being diagnosed with celiac and starting a gluten free diet. In my (limited) experience that has not been the case. Immediately after starting the GF diet, I had terrible lows for 1-2 weeks. Then practically within 24 hours the lows went away and I am now dealing with chronic and stubborn highs. My BGs were WAY more stable prior to celiac. My diet really hasn't changed much other than cutting out a lot of the carbs that I had been eating. I am beyond frustrated. I know YDMV, but what has your experience been with your BGs or your child's BGs after celiac dx? Please tell me that things will settle down soon!:eek:

2. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

you should contact Wendy at http://www.candyheartsblog.com/ her daughter has celiacs and wasn't diagnosed right away, she might have good insight for you :)

3. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

a lot of the gluten free foods are high gylcemic index. You may have to play with the doses to get it right.

4. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We didn't see that, and I can't see any reason why it would make a difference. GF foods are the same as gluten-based foods in terms of carbs and glycemic index, if you're talking about the same type of foods - breads, pastas, etc. If you avoid gluten by avoiding those types of foods and eating only fruits, vegetables, meats, and dairy, then I suppose BG would become more stable, but if eating the same types of GF foods you should see no difference.

5. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

Thanks everyone!

I actually haven't been eating a lot of processed GF food. I have been trying to stick to food that is naturally gluten free which I have never had any issues dosing for in the past. It isn't so much food spikes that I am dealing with, but an overall chronic high BGs. My dexcom looks like it has flatlined at 300 only to be punctuated with the occasional valley as I head low after some rage bolusing!:eek:

I thought this might have to do with my gut healing, but it sounds like this might just be a huge coincidence and hopefully things will settle back down. :)

6. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

In our experience, the BGs became much more stable. The thinking behind that is that a healed gut absorbs more consistently than a damaged gut. Also, without the "alergic" response from the body, the insulin is used better.

Meredith went from having 2-3 numbers in range each week (and I'm not kidding) to going 3-4 days with most numbers in range.