- advertisement -

BGL Readings

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SarahsMum, Jan 15, 2010.

1. SarahsMum

SarahsMum Approved members

Im sure this subject has been discussed before but I'll ask anyway.

Im in Aus and we measure BGL's in mmol but I know the US use a different value.

So am wondering what is normal range for you?

For us measuring in mmol we follow the following ranges

Under 1.0 - Severe Hypo
    1.0 - 2.0 - Moderate Hypo
    2.0 - 4.0 - Mild Hypo

Our target Range is 4.0 - 10

Then on the hyper range

15.0mmol and over is high for us. Readings above 15 we start checking for ketones and give correction bolus's.

We try and keep Sarah's readings between 4-10 but dont correct unless they are over 15.

Just though this might be helpful so when I am reading posts I know how high exactly readings are, or how low they are:)

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If this link works it will allow you to convert the measures. ;)

http://childrenwithdiabetes.com/converter.htm

For us, at almost 12 years old, we like to see her between 85 - 130, but we can see 150-200 at different times during the day, ie soon after meals, with sports, with hormones :rolleyes: I correct anything over 140ish if there isn't a good reason why she's higher than target.

Hope that helps :cwds:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

To convert a reading in mmol/l to mg/dl you multiply by 18. So your ranges would be:

Severe hypo: Under 1.0mmol/l = Under 18mg/dl.
    Moderate hypo: 1.0mmol/l to 2.0mmol/l = 18mg/dl to 36mg/dl.
    Mild hypo: 2.0mmol/l to 4.0mmol/l = 36mg/dl to 72mg/dl.

However, I personally wouldn't consider a 2.0mmol/l (36mg/dl) to be a mild hypo. Personally, I would consider my ranges to be:

Severe hypo: Under 2.0mmol/l.
    Moderate hypo: 2.0mmol/l - 3.0mmol/l.
    Mild hypo: 3.0mmol/l - 4.0mmol/l.

That's really because I've been incoherent at 2.4 before (although I have been below 0.6 and asymptomatic as well...) so I wouldn't consider it to be "mild".

4. lisab

lisab Approved members

I too am in Australia - found the difference in readings very confusing when I first visited this site.

It took a long while to figure out to divide readings x18 to get the equivalent in mmol. I used to have a calculator on hand when reading posts to make it easier. After a while you can gauge an approximate conversion as you become more familiar.

I would consider any reading below 2.0 as severe if she "was off with the fairies" or severely uncoordinated.

Moderate to severe - (1.6 - 2.0) If physically weak but mentally still with it.

Moderate - (2.0 - 3.0) with it but with symptoms

Mild - (3.0 - 4.0)

Noticed that you have been given very tight range for a baby so young.
    Standard range for kids under 6 years has always been (5 - 12 mmol/l).
    (Purple - parents manual) - though mine is quite a few years old.

My daughter at 8 years has a range of (4 - 10 mmol/l) but with a target of 7 pre-meal.

I also read your other post and just want to say "Happy Birthday Sarah" and congratulations Mum for getting through a remarkably tough first year!

I hope 2010 is good year for you and your family and runs more smoothly.:)