- advertisement -

BG of 42 in my non-T1D child? Q for those with 2nd DX..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KaseyK, Jan 13, 2013.

1. KaseyK

KaseyK Approved members

My 2 year old was difficult to wake from a nap, drenched in sweat & physicially shaking, so I took his BG with ODS Omnipod & it was 42. I kinda panicked & gave juice & then tested again about 7 mins later & he was 92. Could it change that fast if this is just the beginning???

He was tested for the antibody last February & was negative, although he has has borderline low fasting numbers (55-65) quite a few times and I've seen lots of symptoms in him that I seen in Braden before dx. I guess my question is..whats my next step? Ped? Endo? Trialet?

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated

2. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I would discuss your concerns with your child's doctor.

From our experience I can tell you that my second dd did not experience lows before dx. Also the overnight fasting BG is usually the last number to be seen rising as there is usually some residual insulin production that kicks in overnight.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

A very small portion of T1s have documented hypoglycemia before developing diabetes, and a larger, still small, had symptoms suggesting hypoglycemia before developing diabetes.
    But the typical prediabetic hypoglycemia happens either as reactive hypoglycemia (after eating) or as stress hypoglycemia.

Your son has fasting hypoglycemia, it sounds like, and I doubt it has to do with development of diabetes. But since he has been really symptomatic, and his blood sugar has been pretty low, you should probably take him to a doctor to find out why he's been low like this. I think either the pediatrician or the pediatric endocrinologist would be a good place to start.

4. KaseyK

KaseyK Approved members

Today his 42 was not a fasting BG...he ate lunch 3 hrs prior to napping. I guess I'm wondering if the extremely early stages of honeymooning could cause lows & maybe we aren't seeing the highs??

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

You can't be honeymooning unless you have been diagnosed and are taking insulin.

Many people suffer from hypoglycemia that has nothing to do with diabetes. I would focus your energies more in that area since that's what you are seeing - low numbers. Low numbers are not a symptom of diabetes.

6. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

I would test him with a different meter. We found out our omnipod meter consistently read lower than other meters usually by about 30 points. We had it replaced but the new one still read higher by about 15 points. When we changed pumps we tested this out. Also whenever they would test him at the drs office it was always higher by at least 20 points but typically 30 and we took our sample off the same drop of blood.

7. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I have an aunt who is now in her 70's who has dealt with infrequent hypoglycemia her entire adult life, but does not type 1 or type 2 diabetes. I know this does not tell you a lot, but it is possible to have hypoglycemia without diabetes. It may be indicative of something else or maybe just an isolated incident.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Agreed.

And, I would strongly suggest that you consult with your pediatrician and your d-childs endo about this. We can only give suggestions, they are the ones who can diagnose.

9. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

My son did experience the lows before diagnosis. Of course--we did not know what was going on at the time.

10. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I agree with the person who said to try a different meter other than the Omnipod. We don't use the PDM because it consistently reads at least 30 points (more tan 30 with higher numbers) lower than any other meter. So for us, a 42 would be at least a 70 on a One Touch.

11. KaseyK

KaseyK Approved members

I agree that the Omnipod reads lower, Ive seen it in ours as well. But who's to say that isnt the more accurate number? More often than not the Omnipod agrees with my sons symptoms and G4 readings over the One Touch. In the beginning of pumping Omnipod we compared A LOT because I was nervous about the deviation and quickly found that the Omnipod did consistantly read lower - but seemed more in line with him feeling low. 90 on One Touch vs. 69 on Omnipod and him feeling low seem more accurate to me, then we got the G4 and well its usually dead on with the Omnipod and his symptoms. So Im confident in the Omnipod reading.

Anyway, the fact that my YDS had hypo symptoms along with the reading validates the reading for me, and our Endo agreed. (Because of course I would consult with a doctor-Im not looking for a Dx I was looking for personal experience) The Endo also said that he's seen many siblings dxd with lows because parents know what the symptoms are and catch the onset much earlier than a first dx.

12. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I can't verify this as we didn't check as we had no clue it was a possibility, but looking back I strongly believe my dd had lows. However I also think this is rare.

I would also try checking with different meters and see the doctor. (((HUGS))).