- advertisement -

BG ? for all the # experts out there . . .

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aidensmom, Oct 26, 2009.

1. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

Ok, so I've noticed lately that Aiden's BG seems to rise in the afternoon with or without a snack. I'll give an example using yesterday's #s. He is on Lantus and Humalog. He gets 7.5 units of Lantus at 8:00 each evening.

Saturday bedtime BG = 105
    Sunday 4 AM, BG = 130
    Sunday 8:30 AM, BG = 98
    10:30 AM, BG = 146 (had 10 carb snack, uncovered)
    12:30 PM, BG = 199 (lunch, gave 3 u Humalog)
    2:30 PM, BG = 139 (no snack given)
    5:30 PM, BG = 316 (dinner, 4 u Humalog)
    7:30 PM, BG = 154

I'm just a little perplexed about the 316 and I wouldn't be so bothered if it just happened as a fluke -- it's been going on for several days. Sometimes he'll even be a little low at his 2 hour after lunch check, but with 10-15 carbs of juice and a little snack he'll be over 300 at dinner. Suggestions or opinions are appreciated. I'm just not sure what I should adjust here. Thanks!:cwds:

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

It is quite possible that his Lantus is not lasting 24 hours (it often doesn't in children), and that as it fades BG starts rising in afternoon once the IOB from the lunch bolus is gone. This sort of thing is why many families split the Lantus. The other option is to give him a mid-afternoon shot to keep BG in range until supper.

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Have you checked between 2:30 and 5:30 to see if he's still dropping before he goes up?

4. aidensmom

I had wondered about splitting the Lantus dose. I'll search on here for some info on what is the best way to approach that. Thanks.

5. aidensmom

I have some, but didn't yesterday. It seems that generally he continues to rise. I'm not exactly sure at what time he begins to go up.

6. aidensmom

After reading another thread about splitting the Lantus dose, I noticed a lot of discussion about where it is given. Aiden gets his Lantus in his belly, so maybe that could be a reason that it is not lasting as long? If we gave the Lantus in his bottom or thigh, maybe it would last longer? He's very adament about not wanting shots in his bottom, but we may have to give it another try. I'm not sure which would be worse -- adding another shot per day or forcing him to take one in his bottom?!:(

7. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

FWIW my son prefers his lantus in the bum. He has always said it burns a bit going in, and it seems to burn less in the bum than the belly.

We had been seing a similar rise late afternoon and then a drop at night with the lantus before bed. The endo wanted to increase the lantus at our last clinic, but I was hesitant becasue of the overnight drop and the morning lows. He suggested we switch the lantus to morning, and that seems to be working better for us. I feel better about increasing the lantus, knowing he'll be awake if he starts dropping. so far, so good (touch wood).

Another option would be to use regular at lunch. That would cover lunch and an afternoon snack. We often do this, depending on our schedule.

8. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

It will last longer in the thigh, longest in the butt. So give the thigh a try. If that's still not enough, then you give your son the choice.. :cwds:

10. aidensmom

Just curious how you went about switching the Lantus to the morning. Did you just split the dose at first? How did you make the transition? It might be worth a try. I'd prefer to fix the problem without having to give an extra injection each day, but that may not be possible. Thanks for the suggestion.

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

We dont split the lantus dose and give it at about 8:30PM always in the tushy.

12. aidensmom

OK, we'll give it a try -- remember he's 3, so when given an option the most likely answer is "no" :)

13. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven was diagnosed at 3 and for the first 3 years he would only let us use his butt. He was petrified of using thighs or back of arms and he still wont let us use belly. I would always try to get him to watch TV when I gave him his shot or have him play with a toy.

14. aidensmom

This is exactly how Aiden is, except with his belly. He wants them all always and only there. Oh, and he likes total silence! We must all be quite, no tv, and no loud noises (you can imagine how this goes in a restaurant!).