- advertisement -

BG drop from 97 to 42 in 45 mins?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nmco123, May 17, 2010.

1. nmco123

nmco123 Approved members

Just one of those days where I cry all day due to this hateful disease....

Last night one and a half hours after finishing dinner Colin said "I feel like Im breathing funny....can you check my sugar?" So, Im freaked out, as he never before complained of any symptoms of a low. We check him he is 62, give 4 oz of juice and 30 mins later he's 51?!? We call Endo they say keep correcting with Juice and give bedtime snack. (He got 1-1/2 humalog at dinner mixed w/ 6-1/2 nph. ) after snack and 2nd round of juice he was 102, 45 mins later was 71???? All night this went on, stayed above 100 after 12 am and we checked hourly, it wasnt until 6:15 he was 97, then at 7am he was 42!!!:confused:
    I nervously woke him, called Endo they said give 0 insulin and give 8oz juice and breakfast. Well an hr later he was 310, than 10:30am 423 and lunch 227, all on zero insulin??? Explanations??? Endo finally said give 1unit of humalog to cover lunch, at dinner he was 275 got 1 humalog and 6nph, bedtime number 435! I just looked at the meter and cried! Poor Colin says--"mom whats wrong" usually i can control my emotions, but these last 24 hours have been so crazy, im so confused, scared, upset. I kept him home from school bc i was afraid of him crashing at school, meanwhile it was opposite effect all day! And all our endo can say is....we really don't know....maybe his pancreas is shooting out some insulin erractly? Who knows. Im worried about my poor little boy and how such drastic changes are occuring in his body. Just looking for a shoulder, and some advice, comfort....
    Thanks all!:cwds:

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

I think alot of us have experienced weird lows lately!

But, your son is probably still in the honeymoon stages and his pancreas decided to kick some insulin out on you...

You did a good job handling it with checking hourly and giving carbs. The morning high BS was probably just a build up of carbs form overnight/

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

This happens to us..Kaylee isn't honeymooning, for us a lot of the times its weather related.

Where you are still newly diagnosed, I'm sure honeymooning is playing apart of what is going on.

4. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

Hi Nicole,

My son is also 6 and was dx last December. We have been having some strange highs and then hours later some strange lows too. I think that you did a wonderful job of keeping him balanced. I'm sorry that I don't have any real advice but just wanted to offer some comfort.

5. spamid

spamid Approved members

I agree that it probably was his pancreas kicking in a little. Sounds like you handled it just fine. It is scary when blood sugar drops that much in a short amount of time.

HUGS!!!!!!

6. joan

joan Approved members

It could also be the NPH peaked early and he may be on too much NPH in the evening. It could also be to much NPH in general. When my son was on NPH I found it unpredictable especially if he was active. Has you doctor discussed lantus for night? It is scary when the bs doesn't go up quickly.

7. madde

madde Approved members

What kind of snack is he getting before bed?

Something with fat/protein is the best, because it helps with the peak that NPH has.

Madison usually gets ice cream, peanut butter crackers/milk, etc...

8. nmco123

nmco123 Approved members

Thank you guys for your support/comfort! Just what I needed. He usually eats pb crackers or an ice cream sandwich or cereal, pretty good carbs but so unpredicatable. Last night before bed time snack--435!?!? No idea! We are considering moving to Lantus SOON!
    Thank you all!:cwds:

9. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Hugs

This is late Nicole...as I just joined recently. I'm doing searches in the forums trying to find answers for my dd's numbers. I saw this. I am crying with you. DD went to 32 this morning at school after I corrected for a high.
    Yesterday I just got a (literal) slap on the arm from the Japanese endo for high and low numbers.
    I wish I can understand what's going on better. Being sleep-deprived is not helping.

10. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

He got too much insulin for dinner, that ratio needs to be changed so that he gets less. The insulin keeps working for around 3 hours, that's why he kept dropping.

You might want to talk to your Endo about Lantus at night. NPH can work for lunch to skip a shot, but the drops at night are not fun to deal with, Lantus will do a better job keeping him steady.

(((((HUGS))))) It gets better...I promise:cwds: