- advertisement -

Beyond Frustrated and DONE

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lori_Gaines, Apr 21, 2014.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Another suggestion is to try another insulin, we were on Humolog and I swear it just stopped working reliably for my dd. We switched to Novolog and it was a night and day difference it just worked more predictably, then we moved to Apidra when it was approved down to 4yrs olds.

Diabetes is much more than basal and bolus the insulin and the infusion site can play a big role because everyone's body reacts differently.

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I was going to suggest the same thing. It seemed with Humalog sites worked unpredictably with the pump. When we changed to Novolog everything smoothed out and sites lasted like they should.
    We also have a lower ratio for breakfast versus the rest of day. Also, using a carb scale like Salter helps us measure food.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I can't remember when my dd changed from a little more insulin for the first meal of the day to twice the amount of insulin for the first meal. We currently are at 1:14 for breakfast and 1:25 for the rest of the day, but we have been down to 1:13 before.

It is scary to get down to smaller numbers for a ratio, but I had to just sit down and realize that if my DD always needs correction insulin at the next snack/meal than she needs more insulin. And a nutrition scale is the best thing in the world!

4. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

We actually do use steel canulas. I have wondered about the Humalog on some level, but I just felt so strongly it was the basal rates and all the other settings. I am happy to report that her numbers have been remarkably better for the past three days. I literally changed every single setting in her pump. I had already changed the basal rate, but I also changed her IC, ISF, and her target BG. What a massive difference. I think I was just being so timid for so long, and it was hard to make the decision to do a complete overhaul. So glad I did! Night and day difference...until next week, I bet!

5. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Maybe........but if D dares to poke its head up again.......think to yourself......

"Bring it."

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I LOVE this! I am going to start managing my daughter's T1D with this attitude: BRING IT!

7. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

...and this is the picture I have in my mind most times......

I am dating myself here...Muscles Mouse, Jerry's cousin from Tom and Jerry.

Attached Files:

• m.jpg
      m.jpg
      File size:
      44.6 KB
      Views:
  8. shannong

shannong Approved members

I often find myself timid in the face of diabetes. There is just something scary about needing to suddenly give your child more insulin than you ever could have imagined. It's that tight rope we walk on all the time between enough insulin and too much insulin. Some days it does just seem to take a lot of courage.

Bring it!! (I like that, lol).

9. onthego

onthego Approved members

Good for you!! :)

10. Lysa916

Lysa916 Approved members

My daughter was just diagnosed last Saturday so I have no idea what all the terminology means yet. We are on a sliding scale amount of humalog dependant on the meter reading. We are following the dr directions and counting the allowed number of carbs. My daughter stays in the 200 range. Last night she was 298 and broke down crying because she doesn't know what she is doing wrong.
    So I have no advice for you. No words of wisdom.
    Just a new understanding of what you are going through.

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Please tell her she is doing NOTHING wrong. The doctors are trying to adjust her levels and keep her safe in case she enters the "honeymoon."

I would ask for a carb ratio dosing method asap, though, because your child should be able to dose insulin for how much food they want, not how much someone says they have to eat. We learned the carb ratio method from diagnosis, and I'm thankful to have been spared a less life-friendly method of dosing.

12. susan0909

susan0909 Approved members

Thank you for starting this post! We are currently experiencing the same thing with our son who is 8 and was diagnosed 10 months ago. Crazy high blood sugars for no reason at all. Days where 180 would be a dream number.... Boluses ratios that worked a week ago, now barely budging his 250 + blood sugar more than 50 points. I have changed sites, changed cannula types, and started new bottles of Humalog. We use steel cannulas on his backside and comfort short Teflon sites on his legs because quite frankly I don't think the kid has 6mm of fat to put the steel ones in on his legs. Actually I have has the worst results with the steel cannulas. So much tape and tubing for the contact detach. Blood sugars are marginal with the steel needles and by the end of 36 hours are in the low 200's. I think 70% of our blood sugar problems are site absorption issues but we have only been pumping for 8 months and we rotate sites every two days so I don't know how that can be. My endo looks doubtfully at me when I describe the concern I have over site absorptions. I too am at my wits end and am beyond frustrated. My whole life seems to revolve around my son's blood sugar and lack of control. When I realize that it hasn't even been a year yet since diagnosis, I feel like crying. I wish I had answers for you, but I can only offer sympathy at this point. After looking at some of these other posts, we are clearly not alone in this situation!

13. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

Aaaaaaaannnnnnnndddddd as quickly as my across the board settings worked, they fail. She has been over 300 all day, and has been higher the past few days as well. WHATEVER!!!!

Lysa - I am so sorry about your daughter. Like Mom said above, she did nothing wrong!!!! ((((((Hugs)))))))

14. David in Az

David in Az New Member

Beyond Frustrated and Done Hang in there. We just went throught something similar. I recommend downloading your settings and past 3 weeks of readings and sending them to your endo to revisit your pump settings. Your child is young and growing big time so I imagine you're going to need to keep adjusting settings. Do use your endo. Also, as you get further into this, you'll feel more confident making your own pump setting adjustments. Trust me I understand your frustration. Keep plugging away. There's lots of repetition with this disease...repetition is your friend.