- advertisement -

Beware the new Domino's GF Crust

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by MamaC, May 7, 2012.

1. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

At least they are being honest & saying that they cannot guarantee 100% gluten free. Eating out at any place that sells gf pizza is a risk.

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

True. I'm concerned, though, that some may see the Domino's menu addition without researching further for GF validity.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It seems kind of pointless to make a GF pizza which can't be eaten by people with celiac. Are there enough people out there on semi-GF diets to make that worth their while?

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Well... there are quite a few (well, a LOT) of people out there eating gluten free who don't have celiac - they're doing it for the imagined health benefits and it's become a bit of a fad (my SIL is convinced staying gluten-free will cure her hashimoto's.. and I so wish I was kidding, but she's convinced she can cure herself and won't need to take synthroid).

For those people it won't matter.. for anyone with celiac, obviously it would be a BIG problem.

6. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I think that in practice, a lot of people who need to eat gf, cheat a lot. I know for a fact that my husband has coworkers that are celiac, but he has seen them eating toppings off of regular pizza because no other food available at office party, etc. So really, is it better to order a gf pizza that may have slight contamination or eat something that is completely contaminated?

Not all people with celiac or gluten intolerance have the same sensitivities. While I see the need to disclose the contamination possiblilities....I know in reality, my own child has eaten items with gluten rather than be a "bother" to friends while out. Lucky for her, she does not have much sensitivity. So this pizza, while it may not be the best for all celiacs, may be ok for some. Certainly better than just eating the glutenful pizza.

7. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

well...we were diagnosed with hashimotos about a year before celiac dx. currently after being gf not on any thyroid meds at all. I would say it is possible.

8. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Were you on synthroid after dx?

It's possible that your thyroid is still producing enough of the hormone that, now that the body isn't under attack from gluten, the thyroid is producing just enough to keep your TSH levels okay. (But regular testing of your TSH levels is still vital and, when prescribed Synthroid/levothyroxine, it's important to take it regularly.)

Personally, I have no problem with my little pill each morning. And I feel SO much better now that I'm on it.

9. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

She was on levothroid for a while. Maybe 6-9 months. Time flies! They are doing the throid panel regularly & they are all in good range now.

I think the throid troubles were a result of the inflammation caused by the celiac & with gf diet that went away. Don't really care WHY it's gone, I'm just happy it's gone because Danielle really did not like having to take a pill every day.

10. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I didn't say it's not possible.. I had a Hashi's DX for many years before I was on meds (I was even hyper for a while, too) and I did go on and off them for a while, but my point was more that she had already been on meds for a few years and took it upon herself to go off them... convinced of course that going gluten-free would "cure" her. As far as I know she's not had her levels checked by a doctor since doing that. She doesn't have celiac either.

From what I can tell she's very symptomatically hypo, I think just in denial about it. Every time I see her she has gained a significant amount of weight.

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I don't understand why they can't make a bit more of an effort to keep the cross contamination at a minimum... a throw away tin foil pan can be used, and how much is a new knife and cutting board? If they used the toss away tinfoil pans (which all places that cook gf pizza around here use) and a knife that is kept seperated those two 'tiny' adjustments would go a L O N G way.. but by using the same pans, knife and counter tops doesn't do much good.

We go to a pizza place that uses the same knife, I've seen him wipe it down, with a towel that he's probably used a hundred times going between gluten and gluten free items, yet we don't see symptoms, she doesn't have a problem with it, however, they use the throw away tinfoil pan, they also cut the pizza in that tin pan, so the slight gluten contamination she may get from the knife that is simply wiped down isn't enough to effect her, but adding in the gluten laced pan and the knife, it may be to much. So if Dominos can take one more piece out (using different pans) they may see more success.

I have a friend who's son eats gf, but its not for celiac, she doesn't worry about cross contamination like those with celiac would so this pizza would work for her son.

12. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

From the Columbia University Celiac Disease Center:

Recently ABC News had a piece on Domino's Pizza presenting a supposedly gluten-free item. This is not a product suitable for those with celiac disease and highlights the need for strict regulation of gluten-free foods. Apparently, Domino's Pizza received advice from the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness (NFCA) on how to present this product. This also highlights the need for regulation at a government level rather than the food industry turning to lay groups.

During this presentation, Dr. Peter Green was highlighted discussing the limitations of a gluten-free diet. This piece was a segment from an interview taken one year earlier and not related to discussion of the current "gluten-free" pizza issue.

best,
    Cynthia

Cynthia Beckman
    Director of Development
    Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University
    Harkness Pavilion
    180 Fort Washington Avenue
    Suite 934
    New York, NY 10032
    Tel 212.342.4529
    Cell 646.812.1212
    Fax 212.342.0447