- advertisement -

Best wishes

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Ellen, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Just want to send a hug to those of you who are sending your children off to college for the first time. It's not easy but our job is to raise our children to be confident and competent so feel good about a job well done!

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Thanks Ellen, you are so sweet to think of us at this time!

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Good luck from me as well!

My parents seem to be coping okay at the moment. At least they'll still have 3 kids at home after I've gone.. so they shouldn't miss me too much, right? :p

4. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

Oh - I am sure your parents will miss you Emm. I hope you won't be too busy to stop by the forums once in a while because we will miss you too! Best of luck to you.

I drop my daughter off at college this Saturday - 3 1/2 hours away. I am expecting great things from her and I know she will be fine and take care of herself there.

5. joan

joan Approved members

Best Wishes Emma!! My son is leaving in 2 weeks, 9 hours away. As much as I have been worried I feel like he is ready and can do it. Thanks Ellen for the thoughts. I really can't believe all the years have gone by so fast..

6. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

May I be so bold to offer a suggestion for those of you who are going through the "empty nest" syndrome. Pick a hobby ANY hobby and or activity and if you can, get you're significant other involved too. In our case I chose motorcycle riding. We sent off our youngest to college earlier this past fall and I was getting concerned coming home from work seeing my wife so depressed because her "babies" were gone, I said "phooeey" on this BS and got her a crash helmet. It was at about that time that I had passed my motorcycle riding test and got my license which allowed me to have a passenger on the bike with me and off we went. We never pre-plan a ride, we just hop on and go and as long as the bike has enough gas to get us home in case we get lost in all the country roads around here then we're cool. What I got in return is that I created a monster because my wife absolutely loves it in fact she's just as anxious as me for spring to arrive so we can ride again and our boys love the idea that their mom and dad are actually stepping out and doing something in fact from time to time they'll hop on their bikes and ride with us

Now I'm not recommending that you all run out and buy a motorcycle, the point I'm trying to make is find a hobby/activity that you and your spouse enjoy and start having some fun again because it really helps to take your mind off the empty nest feeling.