- advertisement -

Best way to tape down a sensor

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by KRenee, Nov 16, 2011.

1. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

We have MM cgms and I can't find a good way of taping it on so that it stays.

Do you try to cut the tape to go over the sensor tape but under the sensor? Do you go over the sensor but not the transmitter? Or do you go over everything?

Does the tape really stick well if you go over? There would be so many gaps I would think it would come unstuck right away.

How do you do it?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

We simply use 2 overlapping IV-3000's to go over the entire sensor AND transmitter (sensor side first, then transmitter side). They overlap right where the the transmitter plugs into the sensor by about .5-.75 inches. That gives us a good 1-2 inches of tape all the way around the site and everything stays where it should (with the exception of long episodes of swimming).

Hope that helps!

3. pancake111

pancake111 Approved members

The hospital has these things that you can put over it so that it stays on. I'm not sure what they're called but they look like tape and work well. (If this helps at all!)

4. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

We use 2 pieces of hypafix over the sensor. I put the first piece on covering the actual sensor part (extending maybe an inch over the end of the sensor onto the skin) and just a little bit up over the transmitter. The second piece overlaps onto the first piece and covers the transmitter.

I prefer a 2 piece method because we've had a few occasions when I've needed to disconnect the transmitter for troubleshooting or to get an extra day out of the sensor. This way I can remove the piece of tape covering the transmitter and peel down the other piece enough to disconnect the transmitter without too much movement to the sensor.

we also put a small piece of hypafix over the sensor tape (under the transmitter) mostly to protect her skin from the transmitter.

5. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

Thanks! We obviously need to be using lots more tape!

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I use one big piece of hypafix, like this.

[​IMG]

7. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We use 2 pieces of tegaderm. The first on I cut in half. Before the transmitter is attached, one half goes over the sensor (keeping clear of the prongs) and the other half goes under where the transmitter will be on the skin (this cuts down a lot on skin rashes). Then when the transmitter is attached, the second piece goes over the the transmitter, slightly overlapping the piece on the sensor.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We use Opsite Flexifit clear tape. One strip under transmitter, one over and one thin strip at top where sensor enters the skin.

9. Tommo

Tommo Approved members

we use 1 tegaderm over the sensor and just over the transmitter. we then put a piece of cotton wool or cotton dressing, cut into a square, under the transmitter. then half a tegaderm to just cover overlap. This way the half tegaderm can be easily removed and dressing changed after baths and swimming ...when it's gone a bit soggy. Stops any soreness under the transmitter.