- advertisement -

Best way to keep track of BG checks and Insulin shots?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mo779, Jul 21, 2014.

1. mo779

mo779 Approved members

I am just looking to see what people use to keep track of BG checks and Insulin shots for their child. I find the book that we were given is so limited with no space, with room for just 4 BG checks per day. I need something better with maybe a space to write for every hour of the day. So whenever I check her BG or give her a shot for a snack in between meals, I can record it. Can you guys please share what you use? Whether it be custom spreadsheet that you created? Or a smart phone app (Android)?

Thanks so much.

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

In our pre-pump, pre-CGM days, we used the Diabetes 360 app. Loved, loved, loved it. The kids had iPod Touches in their diabetes bags and they just traveled with the kids.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I have been going old school with a pencil and paper the past 7 years and it has been working fine. Attached is the sheet I created if you want to take a look at it.

View attachment BG Sheet.pdf

4. mo779

mo779 Approved members

Thanks for the sheet Chris, I like pen and paper too. I found something silimar to your sheet online in a word document, just making some changes to it to fit our needs. Will probably go with pen and paper too.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Of course, not a problem. Like I said, it's nothing fancy but it has worked fine. I find it very helpful to spot trends or to remember how she reacted to a certain correction, especially overnight ones.

Good luck with yours. :cwds:

6. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

If you have an Android, OnTrack is a good app to use. You can track BG, insulin doses, A1C, and more.

Christine

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

We were old school notebook folk as well. :wink: Although he's pumping now, I still have a notebook in the kitchen that I use from time to time to write down meals, carbs and BG when it's something new so that we can refer back to it to see if it worked or not.

8. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

We logged the information manually using whatever is easiest, but then nightly I would enter the data into a spreadsheet I would then share with the team.

the columns you need in the spreadsheet are date, time, "timeslice", carb count, insulin, glucometer reading, and notes. A timeslice is a period of time in a day. So for example between 6 and 9Am we called that "breakfast". Between 9 and 12 was "morning snack". Between 12 and 3 was Lunch. Between 3 and 6 was afternoon snack. Between 6 aand 9 was dinner. You get the idea. This allows for easy analysis later on when you are trying to look for patterns around time of day.

Once you have those things you would be able to create all kinds of pivot tables/charts for free in Excel if you are so inclined.We then shared the spreadsheet with the doctors as required.

I found early on, typing in the numbers daily, really gave me a feel for how things were going. You get "close" to the data. I must admit though, once we got the Dexcom that the paper and pencil went by the wayside because you have all of the numbers in the Dex (we enter all fingerstick numbers into the dex whenever we take them).

9. mo779

mo779 Approved members

Thanks for all the help guys. Noting everything down, and trying to see patterns etc. is what the plan is. We are fairly new to this (diagnosed Sept 2013, insulin started November 2013), so we are seeing the insulin needs slowly starting to grow, and the need for checks to increase. I am in the process to try to get my insurance to cover the Dexcom for my daughter, so hoping to have that soon, but still want to note everything down like carbs/insulin given etc. I'll give the smart phone app a try, but will probably go the route of pen and paper.

10. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

If you ever want to move to a computer format, I like Blue Loop. It was very nice when the nurses at school were doing more for her. We don't use it now because, well, I guess because we're lazy. Now that we can download the pump and download the dexcom, I just don't bother to chart anymore.

11. mo779

mo779 Approved members

Makes sense. Pumping is definitely on our radar but maybe in a couple more years, & depending on how things are going with MDI. The Pen shots dont seem to bother her much (she's so brave & amazing), so if things are going well, and we dont see a need for it, we might stick to it.

12. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Sometimes "old school" is the best way to go! Even when I use a spreadsheet or other kind of chart on my computer, I usually end up printing it out. It just seems to make more sense to me when it's in a "hard copy" form.

13. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

sszy (typing on my phone, hard to refer back for correct spelling of your username!) I am intrigued. I have not figured out how to display finger sticks in dexcom studio. And we were also told that more than 2 calibrations could "confuse" the dex (which is ridiculous). Would love to avoid the weekly dex/Onetouch reconciliation and be able to see actual readings instead of just trends. Easy to add insulin and carbs on the dex; it could all be in one place!

14. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Each time we do a fingerstick we calibrate. It is always real data. It should never hurt. The only report that I found the fingerstick data (along with carb and insulin and exercise data) is the glucose trend report.

You can export the receiver data to an "XML" file, and the actual data points and amounts for everything are in there, but you need to be able to write some code to parse it.

The Dex software developers seemingly ran out of time to really build a good way to record/display of insulin and carbs. I am hoping when they build an iphone/android app that talks to the transmitters directly they will remedy that situation. I do not enter a lot of carb/insulin information into the dex because I do not want to be pressing the buttons on the receiver more than I have to. I only enter nighttime carbs/insulin if he is low/high.

15. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

That makes sense, thanks for clarifying!