- advertisement -

best way to carry juice boxes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BCot, Jun 6, 2012.

1. BCot

BCot Approved members

Has anyone come up with a good way to carry juice boxes around without them getting banged up and start leaking? My son carries his suplies in a drawstring Nike backsack. It doesn't take long before the juice boxes start to leak. We need something that isn't too big, and is solid enough to protect them, to keep them in.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We had a travel soap container once that did the trick ... until someone stepped on it :rolleyes::p

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Maybe you need different Juice Boxes. We have ones we have carried for ages, they look battered but have never started leaking. Have you looked at the little bottles of Dex4 liquid. They would take up less room and are very tough..

[​IMG]

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I started carrying these or the gel. Mainly because they are so much smaller than the boxes.

However, if you still want to use the box, they do make a plastic carrying case for them. Check Bed Bath and Beyond or any kitchen type store.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son uses a plastic pencil case. It holds 3-4 plus some granola bars.

6. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I like the soap/pencil box idea! :) We don't carry juice boxes....they get crushed, but we do carry dex4 drinks! I know they are same amount of carbs 15g as a box juice but sometimes just 1/2 of dex4 drink does the trick. I have only found them at the costco pharmacy section.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we used to get the gerber apple juices from the baby section they are 12-13 carbs and my dd likes the individual sunny delights right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Apple-Juice-4-Ounce-Packages/dp/B00356BNV6

But in her kit that she carries around everywher it we keep 2-3 juicy juice in a clear cosmetic case just a simple clear pencil case would due.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

I totally get the problem. I use a sturdy container that has a rubber seal and clips securely at 4 points. I think they came from Kohls and were of the Food Network variety. We can get one large and one small in one of the sizes. I think we bought them separately though but it may have been one of a set. They are great and you can certainly use the extras.

[​IMG]

9. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Yup, we use the little bottles, and have a pencil case with 2 juice boxes and a roll of glucose tabs stuck in our kit.

10. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

11. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We don't normally carry juice around. We use glucose tabs (in the small plastic "roll") or fruit snacks. No leaking problems and they last longer, and have a lot of carbs in a small space. Hope this helps.

12. aslan1994

aslan1994 Approved members

"free" boxes

I just wanted to add my solution to all the other great ideas here. I use the little plastic containers that sandwich meat comes in. I think hillshire farms is the brand we usually get. Anyway, 2 (or maybe 3?) juice boxes will fit in one container. Works great for us and the only $ invested in the box is what I paid for the ham/turkey.:D

13. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We have used pencil boxes as well, and that's what we keep in his specials classes (art, music, PE) and in his homeroom class.

For the most part though, we carry just tabs, cake gel and fruit snacks. After having a few juice boxes burst in my purse, I was over it. :p

14. Eminemsmom

Eminemsmom Approved members

Yup - we started using these a few years ago. We had experienced one too many exploding juice boxes in backpacks, pocketbooks, and lets not forget her desk at school...

They are expensive, but worth it, IMHO.

15. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

We use the Juicy Juice boxes, and have not yet had one leak. But how about just putting them in a Ziplock bag?? Seems simple...and they can be rinsed out and re-used.

I've never seen those Dex4 juices. Are they more expensive than regular juice boxes. Where do you buy them?

16. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I hate exploding juice boxes! But I think the Dex 4 type stuff is pretty expensive for what it is, so I stick to tabs/candy for the most part.

17. Eminemsmom

Eminemsmom Approved members

Dex4/ GlucoShot

I have been able to find Dex4 or GlucoShots at Target, Walgreens, and Walmart. Price varies here between $1.50 and $2 each. The last time they were on sale I just bought a couple of dozen. The expiration date :rolleyes: is usually 2+ years, so they last a long time and taste good- they dont seem as sweet as gel. We only use these to keep in her backpack or our purses, so we don't go through too many. The only problem we have faced is the "pull tab" at the top is sometimes hard to remove, so she just uses her teeth to rip it off in an emergency!

18. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Thanks...I will have to look for them next time I'm at Target.

I often get frustrated when trying to open the small vials of Dex4 glucose tabs as well. If he is very low, and I am in a hurry, it is so frustrating to get the plastic overwrap off...especially if we are out and I don't have anything sharp to cut it with. I can't imagine actually being the person who is low and shaky and trying to open one of these! At least they recently made the larger jars of the tablets easier to open.

19. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

We put glucose tabs in an empty m&ms minis tube they fit perfectly and it holds 20 tabs perfectly it is also easy to open.

20. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

That's a good idea!:)