- advertisement -

Best thing about Diabetes Camp?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JJsMomma, Apr 5, 2010.

1. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

I have heard so many people rave about this...sadly it will be a few years until JJ goes. In your opinion, what's the best thing about camp? What about what your child likes best?

2. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

Hi--my daughter (age 9, diagnosed in 2007) just went to diabetes camp last year for the first time. It was also the first time she'd ever been away from home longer than one night. The best thing about her experience with diabetes camp is the obvious--being around and making friends with others that have diabetes. It was a priceless experience and she can't wait to go back this year. She would tell you that the best part about it was all of the fun things they got to do--like boating, tubing, hiking, etc. My favorite part was knowing how many nurses, medical staff were around all the time. Overall, we had a great experience with the camp in our state (S.C.) and plan to make it an annual trip for Lindsay.

3. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh wanted to go this year. Kind of frustrated over it actually. The Endo's office hands us the paperwork for it on 3/29. I fill it out along with a paper to hopefully get a scholarship to help with the costs. she also has to have a physical by her main physician. They get us in on 4/1, complete the required paperwork. It is then that we read Every thing has to be completed and turned in by 4/1! To even be considered for camp. They are only accepting 60 campers, and it's first come first serve. Argh! Why give us the form when there was no way for us to turn everything in on time.

4. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Best thing about D camp for me is 3 weeks D free!

Best thing about D camp for D-kid is 3 weeks of being normal!

Plus....fitting in, life-long friends, fun, learning medical stuff, and F-U-N to the M-A-X.

5. Diet Dr. Pepper

Diet Dr. Pepper Approved members

I went for one summer, to Camp Sweeney. I would have loved to go back, but never did :(

I loved it so much. The best thing for me was that I felt "normal" again because everybody else had D, so it was normal to do all the D stuff. And it was really nice how I basically got a 3 week break. Before every meal or bedtime or whenever the cabin would take insulin shots, the counselors (or med staff?) would get everybody's insulin ready to be injected. You didn't have to draw it up or figure out how much you were going to inject or anything, the only thing we had to do was sit down and inject it.