- advertisement -

best pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kangelone, Jan 1, 2014.

1. kangelone

kangelone New Member

We are thinking about a pump for my 8 year old son diagnosed at age 6. So many options out there. Any opinion on which is the best? Or do we stick with shots for now? Thank you!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

There really aren't that many options. If you are in the US there are 4 major players. Three tubed pumps: the Medtronic 530G, the Animas Ping and the Tandem t:slim, or the tubeless Omnipod.

Which is best really depends on which feature you value the most. Do you want an integrated CGM? Or a remote PDM? Does a cool appearance matter? How large a cartridge do you want?

If I had to pick a new pump today I would get the t:slim, but that's becuase I don't want the integrated CGM (use like the dexcom g4), I do want a 300u cartridge and my kid has never much liked the look or feel of her current medtronic pump, she's not interested in a patch (tubeless) pump and the Ping interface is not to her liking. All of them could do the job, it's really all about personal preferences. ;)

Check out their websites - lots of slick, promotional materials there.

3. kangelone

kangelone New Member

Thank you. I really am going into this pump thing blind I don't know much about any of them just of what we have researched online and everyone thinks their own pump is the best. We have ruled out the OmniPod are physicians don't really know much about the T Swim since they only have 2 patients using it they kind of recommended Medtronic because it's a great brand and they always are the first with the latest technology. So I am completely confused on which route to take. Thank you for your advice

4. glko

glko Approved members

My son was just dxd in August and started on the Animas Ping in November. We went back and forth between the Ping and the TSlim - loved the touch screen of the TSlim and rechargeable battery but liked the linked remote meter of the Ping. He is on very low doses of insulin (<6U/day) so the cartridge size was not an issue. For us the Ping was the right choice, he wears his pump in a SpiBelt and with the meter remote we give 90%+ of his boluses via the meter. He is a very active boy so I like that the pump is close to him and the tubing is all tucked into his belt. I also love that if we are out at a restaurant he can test before he starts eating and then I can give him multiple boluses, depending on how much he eats, from across the table without having to pull out his pump or have him scoot around to me. Agree with previous poster, it is a personal preference and each child/parent may have different priorities.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'd get ahold of some demo pumps and press buttons on them. They all do the same thing - it's really a matter of personal preference. One thing to think about with an 8 year old is that he will have this pump until he is 12 and in puberty. I'd personally choose a pump with a 300 unit reservoir option (so, the MM or t:slim), so you're not changing the reservoir all the time. We like to fill the reservoir to the max, and then only have to change it every 6-7 days.

6. Annapolis Mom

Annapolis Mom Approved members

One thing I noticed when I was looking for a pump for my daughter (now 9 and pumping happily with an Omnipod for 1 year) is that nearly everyone was very happy with the pump they had chosen. I found that reassuring and it made me feel comfortable in going with my daughter's choice.

7. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

As the other posters have said, it really does come down to which features you want/need, and what feels best for you. My daughter has been using a MM, with integrated CGM, since just a few months after she was diagnosed (just had her 6-year diabeteversary last week), and it's been great, but that was the right choice for us; it might not be for someone else.

The big deciding factors for us were the integrated CGM (which we use ALL the time, and love), and the fact that the pump will recommend a dose and you can just hit a button to deliver it (whereas with the Animas you need to re-enter the dose before it will deliver). For a 6-year old, it was important for us to remove as many opportunities for user error as we could.

As for your speculation that maybe you should just stay with shots, many people do and do just fine. But would we go back to shots? Never.

I agree that the best approach is just to get your hands on all of the different pumps and see what you think. They all deliver insulin and they're all good, so you'll be in good shape whatever you choose!

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I really don't like endo's that try to influence patients with comments like that, and it almost always seems to be Medtronic that they are pushing. My daughter used a Medtronic pump and it was a good solid pump, but I disagree with anyone saying that Minimed is always first with technology. Many people would say the opposite, especially in the CGM area. So many people have given up integrated for more accuracy with Dexcom. Take your time, and do your homework. I would recommend ordering the newest edition of Pumping Insulin in order to decided whether to go for a pump or not, and they do talk about the differences in the pumps. The T Slim is likely not there, it is too new. One thing that you might want with a child that age is a meter that "talks" to the pump instead of needing to enter the blood sugar from a regular meter. Like someone said, less room for error.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I LOL'd at MM being the "first with technology" - that's funny, really. I'll echo the above on all points. Do your own research. If the FDA has approved a pump then there is no reason other than marketing and the Dr/Rep relationship to place one pump above another in any objective comparison. Don't let the endo talk you into MM. It's a fine pump, but it may not be the right choice for your kid.