- advertisement -

Best phone call of my life (totally off topic)

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Megnyc, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I found out this morning that I got into my dream MSTP (NIH funded MD/PhD program)! This has been my goal since even before I started kindergarten so I am completely thrilled and incredibly thankful to have the opportunity.

I will graduate from college in December, start the PhD portion of the program in May and then the MD portion in August. And hopefully finally have a real job in 7 years (at the age of 27 :eek:)!

I'm sharing since you guys have been a big source of support for me over the past 2 years (so thank you!) :)

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Congratulations Meg!

3. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

According to Wikipedia....

"Admission to MSTPs is the most competitive of all graduate medical education programs in the country, with only 170 NIH-funded positions available nationwide each year for a total of 1,813 applicants (a 9.4% acceptance rate)"

and to think, CWD has had you all along!!!

Good luck Megnyc!

4. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

Congratulations!! Always nice to see a young person's dream come true.

5. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Congrats!!!

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

Congratulations!!!

7. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Thanks all!

To be honest, I am about as terrified as I am excited but I imagine/hope that is normal. I was not expecting an acceptance this early at all so the call caught me totally off guard. I still even have a bunch of interviews at other programs set up (some not until December!) that I have to decide which, if any I want to attend.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

What a wonderful opportunity for you! Fantastic!!!

9. suej

suej Approved members

Congratulations- your achievements give me inspiration and hope for my son:)

10. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Mazel tov!!! It must feel great knowing that all of your hard work has paid off! Hopefully by the time you earn your MD, medicine will once again be a profession where the needs of patients, and not the insurance company's annual earnings, come first.

Regarding being terrified, I think this is perfectly normal. My advice is to stay on top of things and study harder and longer than you ever thought possible. Stop striving for perfection, as the sheer volume of knowledge you must acquire over an inadequate period of time will make this impossible. Learn to switch your perspective from the forest to the trees and back again many times each day. My first year of med school was a rude awakening for me. In college I could get away with frequent partying and a minimum to a moderately low amount of effort, then buckle down one to two nights before finals, and pull off a 3.8-ish GPA. Not so with medical school; even herculean amounts of concentrated study, no social life, and little sleep put me right smack in the lower 50th percentile of my class's rankings. And by all means, DO NOT have a child during med school. I can never regret having my first child, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have waited until after med school, perhaps even after residency training. That being said, I have a feeling you will do just fine. If and when the going gets tough, remember these words of wisdom: "Q: What do they call the person who ranks lowest in their med school's graduating class? A: Doctor."

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  11. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Thanks for the advice. Right now it is pretty typical for me to spend around 40 hours a week studying (and I tend to be right at the mean in all my classes) and another 30 hours a week in the lab so it is just scary to think that things are just going to get harder and harder....

And thanks everyone for being supportive! My parents are incredibly negative about the whole MD/PhD thing. They would much rather I go the MD or MD/MPH route so it is nice to get some support here.

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

Good for you, and congratulations for this major achievement! Go for it - you can do it!!! :)

13. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Wow, congratulations on such an achievement!!! Wishing you all the best!!!

14. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Congratulations! How exciting!

15. dshull

dshull Approved members

That's awesome!! I work with premedical students and I know how hard MSTP can be to get into. And how unusual it is for someone still an undergrad to be accepted! So awesome that it's fully funded because you can really focus on what you want and not what might pay you the most so you can pay off your debt.

Not sure if your interests are in clinical medicine or research, but either way you will make a phenomenal physician because you have so much experience being a patient. Our students had to do a lab last year where they had to check their BG multiple times and oh the whining and bandaids they required.

Congrats!

16. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Thanks so much! I am mainly interested in clinical medicine but I would like to end up working in an academic setting and doing research as well. A 50/50 split of clinical work and research/teaching is what I see myself doing in the future. But that could easily change during the many years of school I have left :)

17. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Way to go Meg! Very happy for you!