- advertisement -

best easy to carry glucose for emergencies/lock downs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

That is a great idea.

Someone accidentally set off the lock down alarm at our school last week and my daughter happened to be low. Luckily she was in the nurses office so she had access to supplies.

What about carrying glucose sticks? They are available at Walmart, they are about the size of 4 Pixie Sticks. We use them sometimes, they can be folded and put into a pump pack.

2. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

We bought a box of quick sticks to try and found that the packaging holds up really well. We've never had one break open.

Also, they aren't dd's first choice as far as taste for treating a low, so they are a good emergency source since she's less likely to use them if there's something else available. The one in her meter case has been there for a long time.

I would say they are one of the best products we've found for stashing away for emergency glucose sources.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Yes I do use them often. They come in a thin, tube like package and they are pretty durable.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Emma carries a pack of fruit snacks (or 2). They are about 20 carbs a piece. They are either in her meter or if she is in a case she isn't carrying her meter (because she's wearing her Dex), then she will shove a pack in her pocket.

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My DD almost always has an Airhead or a fruit roll up in her pocket, but especially when she doesn't want to carry anything else or when she has to leave her kit behind (like on an amusement park ride). You can't tell there's anything there even in skinny jeans, and they hold up fine if she doesn't use it for awhile.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I forgot about airheads! The little ones are like 10 carbs each I think.

I normally don't have those in the house becaus "I" like them too much!

7. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

I wondered if your daughter was in that school when it happened. Glad she was safe and so were you. I have talked to the principal here and she said they would get some sugar source in each class room, but nit sure if they have that yet or not. It is nice that Taylor is on the pump so she can suspend if need be.

8. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

9. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We look for the mini airheads in the Halloween candy. I've bought them on amazon as well. They really are the perfect size.

My other kids like them too much too. I always have to buy extra and threaten their lives if they get into my DDs stash and eat her favorite flavors.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Target usually has then in their dollar isle.

11. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We have 3 of these that we won in a competition.. they are easy to attach to lots of things ( we have one hanging off her meter kit) and they hold 4 dex4 tabs.
    http://www.quickfixkeychain.com/ :cwds:

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

I was just going to post these - we have some that we picked up at some diabetes event.

13. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Except for maybe kindergarten-2nd grade, my dd has always carried her supplies with her (with back ups in the office). When she was younger and carried a mini backpack we used juice boxes. Now in middle school she carries a purse which is smaller and in it has two rolls of glucose tabs. One in the main compartment which I check and refill every day if needed and another in an inside zipper. This was can go for months without being used and we have never had a problem with them getting funky. We use these generally.

http://www.target.com/p/up-up-raspberry-glucose-tablets-10-count/-/A-10992099

14. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

The quick fix key chain holder never stays closed though; we had two of them and they always popped open. It's a good concept, maybe we just got two duds.

15. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Ours are great - very tough.