- advertisement -

best easy to carry glucose for emergencies/lock downs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Oct 22, 2013.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

So we had a school shooting in my town yesterday, 2 killed, 2 injured.

This really just brings home to me that my dd does not carry glucose on her body.

I need to figure out a easy to carry and undistructable glucose source that we can have in her belt for emergencies or really anytime she is away from her Diabetes KIT.

What all do you guys do, for those that have their kids carry a source of glucose? I don't want anything "hard" or bulky as I want it to be as unnoticable as possible under her shirt.

I was thinking the little plastic tab holder but I think after a few days of activity they might start to chalky and messy.

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

How scary and sad. I'm so sorry for all those children and everyone affected.

To answer your question, my daughter carries a flat sling purse on her all the time. So she prefers flat packaged glucose. Generally she uses skittles or fruit snacks, but from time to time has used starbursts.

She uses hers over the course of a week, because her purse contents are essentially her D Kit at school (there's more stuff in the nurses office, but her purse is the run of the mill stuff) so they've never gotten too funky.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I don't have any great suggestions - just wanted to say how sorry I am that that happened and that I hope you and your daughter are ok.

So terrible that schools are targets. :(

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

We kept a tube of icing with my pump (in a pouch or spibelt) for emergencies when I was in middle/high school.

I'm so sorry about the shooting. I wish there was more I could do or say :(

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

It was not at her school but one within a few miles of us. My D daughter was actually home sick yesterday but I was working at a school and it was all too surreal.

it was a middle school student that attended the school, he shot 2 kids then a teacher, then shot himself. The teacher and the shooter both died on scene, the two student we hear are recovering from surgery.

I grew up in a hard neighborhood with strong gang presences. But this sort of thing happening now a days is so much scarier to me.

I cnat but wonder, WHY? Did this kid have a life that was that bad? DId no one see signs or tendancies at school or home? Did someone see problems but not say anything? OR was he totally not on the radar of anyone?

I want to understand what caused this boy to beleive that this was the anwer to his problems. I want to be able to understand, but will most like never know why.

6. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

I put pencil cases in every room on the school, the other kids know not to touch them they are out of reach but in sight. The ones in the gym equipment room and the boys bathroom get damaged about three times a year so they are in softer cases now

7. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

So very sorry; it must really be hard knowing its right in your town.

DS has 3 glucose tabs on him at all times. I put them in a tiny plastic jewelry bag and they go right in his pocket. I got 50 bags at a local craft store. It's not ideal, but it's something at least. I do go out of my way to buy him pants/shorts with pockets.

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

They are thinking that maybe he was bullied.

As for the glucose issue, what about these:

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Sticks-Glucose-Watermelon/dp/B008OHABLY

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We have a lockdown kit in her classroom and in the nurses office, there is also glcose tab rolls in the specials classes. The school has a pretty good system in place for CODE yellow/orange or RED and communication proceedures.

The fire department is close and they know of our T1 population.

My worry is when it is a "scatter and hide" or "run" situation where she is on her own :(

10. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

That was my concern too that's why I have them everywhere, every room under stage janitors room, even the forbidden girls bathroom ( the boys say there is no need for them in there)

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Have you used those? are they durable? or will they break open after a few days in the belt?

People always think of of being bullied, I think it had to have been more than bulling for him to shoot kids and a teacher and actually commit suicide afterwards.

I think it had to have been abuse or he possibly could have a mental health issue. I just wish he could have gotten the help he needed before it came down to people dying.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Funny,

I have those daily med baggies with skittles of various carb counts in her purse for when we are out and about, but she is not to the point of carring it aroun at all times yet.

13. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We keep stuff in all the rooms she is in, but my daughter also carries a little cross body purse with tabs, juice and some pb crackers or other snack. She knows that it is supposed to be on her at all times. She does put it down at recess because it is a hazard while climbing on the playground equipment. She does not have pockets in her school skirts so that is not an option.

I am so sorry that you had such a tragedy in your community. We had school officials find a loaded gun in our junior high a couple of weeks ago. The police were involved before anything happend and I'm not sure it was a real threat, but scary anyhow.

14. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I cant even imagine a school full of kids that would be even remotely respectful to leave that kind of stuff alone, certainly not at any school my kids have attended. I didn't even get all of matts kits back last year intact, and none of the stuff was needed to be used by matt.

we have kits in each class, and stuff in the nurses office. I have no doubt, in lockdown with a shooter in the halls, matts D is going to be the last thing on anybodys mind. On the teachers, or his. I would imagine the adrenalin in his own body will kick in, perhaps making him go higher... he has been instructed to pull his pump and go higher for a long length of time in captivity. that, probably will also skip his mind at the time as well.

15. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

DD carries a few rolls of smarties in her ping/glucometer case which she always has with her slung over her shoulder in a small purse. They don't fall apart at all, though she does treat with them during the week. She never carried a purse before the dx, but they are now inseparable.

16. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

Bullying IS abuse, and children DEVELOP mental health issues because of it.

Christine

17. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

My son likes the quick stickes they are fairly durable but I have had some leak in purse it was a mess. It was in there for months. I can't imagine such a tragic event close to home. Thoughts and prayers to families and the community affected by the shootings.

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Agreed, But allot of people don't see it that way.

19. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

Unfortunately, we also had a school shooting a few years back during class change, so kids were pulled into the nearest classroom and not necessarily with their teachers. The nurses worried about the diabetics during the lock down. Now, every teacher in the system has an emergency bag funded by the PTA that includes smartees in every bag.

20. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

You know that sounds like a great idea! I may have to steal it from you because I have the issue of other wings of the school that she doe not go to on a regular basis.