- advertisement -

Belly Ring...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lize, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Lize

Lize Approved members

I should've probably posted this in Parent Off Topic - not sure. My DD wants this sooooooooo badly ( a belly ring) and I promised her that she could get one when she becomes a Teenager. I still think she is way to young for this but a lot of girls in her class already has one. Your thoughts on this please ???:rolleyes:

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

How old is your daughter and what grade?

My children won't be getting any body art until they are legal adults and on their own.

3. Lize

Lize Approved members

She is only 12!!! And I'm not sure if your grades is the same as ours, but she is in Grade 6. Going to final year of primary school next year.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You say you think she is too young for one, then why would you promise her she could get one? If you already promised her, then it is going to be tough to say no now. The rationale that a lot of girls in her class have one is not something that I personally would use when making a decision like this. It is all about what you feel you want for your daughter. I personally think 12 is too young. And she is not a teenager yet, so you still have some time to think about it.

5. Lize

Lize Approved members

Maybe I just wanted reassurance from my friends on CWD.:cwds:

I truly also thinks she is too young. Luckily she won't keep a grudge if I say no -. It is sad really to see the young kids nowdays. Over here anyhow. Times have changed a lot!

6. minniem

minniem Approved members

FWIW, my daughters will not be getting any body piercings at 13. That's too young for me. I also would tell them that I don't care that everyone else has one, everyone else is not my concern...they (my daughters) are. JMHO. :)

7. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I don't think a legit piercer would do a belly button piercing on someone so young.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I don't think so either. I know my niece had her cartilage pierced at a young age, 11 maybe, the person that did it got fired, they have to be 13/14, I think because the ear is still growing and getting a piercing to early can cause a lot of damage.

Personally a belly ring is ment to be sexy and to show it off, two things I don't want anywhere near my young girls. :) I'd let a nose ring go before a belly ring. :cwds:

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, I'm with those who say that 12 is too young for a belly ring.

I have one, and OMG, was it a pain in the butt for the first couple of years. It was very prone to irritation and infection, and I was an adult who was very careful with it when I first got it.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Definitely not as noticable as a tat, but I'm pretty sure that at this point, the hole for my belly ring would not close. Most belly rings are quite a bit thicker than earring posts, so there's definitely a hole there. Well, two holes.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Even though our state motto is "Live Free or Die" a lot of the places I've seen/heard will not do any type of body piercings on kids under 18, even with the consent of an adult.

IMO, too young, too suggestive. I'd go for the upper ear first, but even then, not at 12.

As an aside, my friend had hers done and she got such a bad infection that she had to go to a doctor to have it remove and treated. It cost her quiet a bit in time and money to have that taken care of.

12. Adrienne

Adrienne Approved members

My 12-year-old daughter wants her belly button pierced as well. I told her no way! It is hard because there are a lot of kids in her grade (7th) that have it done. She also wanted a nose ring, which her father promised she could get, but that's not happening either. I figure she'll have plenty of time to make these decisions when she's an adult. Until then, she's up a creek.

13. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

If a legit piercing artist can do it or not usually depends on state regulations (in the US anyhow). Every state has their own regulations in regards to piercing or tattooing, and in some places if parents sign a release form, it can be done. If a reputable artist will do it, that's another story.

12 is WAY too young for such a thing. As someone else already said, it is far too suggestive. In my house, the "all the other kids are doing it" argument holds no ground. All the other kids don't live under my roof so I'm not interested in hearing it. Besides if all the other kids jumped off a cliff..... you know.

I had a friend in High school who had a belly ring. One day he sat down in my car to go somewhere and the ring got caught on the front of his jeans. When he stood up to get out of my car, ring ripped right out and he let out a yelp! So gross, and so prevented me from ever wanting a belly ring!

14. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

My rule was no body art till you're paying your own way (ears excluded). My daughter thought at 19 (and on my dime in college) she could have her eyebrow done because she had a part-time job. Not cool. All her teammates were piercing this, that, and the other thing, and she was 3 hours away...

Let's just say that after after her young cousins questioning her about it, and the fact that she was not permitted to display the piercing when in my presence, and after repeated infections...it came out for good. And left a permanent scar.

So yeah...if you're going to let "all my friends are doing it..." dictate your parenting decisions...you're in for a loooooong sentence in Teenville.

15. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am going to be a little mean here - and I know it and own it - I honestly don't think a place about kids with Diabetes is the place to come to make your parenting decisions.

This is a parenting decisions and in my honest opinion, the only reason to get a belly ring s to look sexy. If you really want your kid looking sexy at 13, well then, there you go - Parenting 101.

16. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I don't consider 12 a teen...More like a tween. No way at 12...JMO

17. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I had one as a youge adult and after 1 year of it not fully healing I took it out.

There is allot of aftercare and involved and I think 13 is too younge, maybe 15or 16 if very responsible.

18. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Why on earth would you allow a 12 year old to get a belly ring?

19. caspi

caspi Approved members

Absolutely!!!

20. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Personally, if I had a daughter, I'd say no way, no how, not ever. When she (if I had a DD) is an adult and if she decided to get one, I would have no say, but not under my roof.

I wonder if it's one of those "fad" things that she won't care about 6 months from now (if she doesn't get one), and perhaps even regret later in life (if she does). Stick to your guns!!! If you don't want her to have one, don't let her (or anyone else) persuade you. On the other hand, if you don't care if she has one, go ahead and let her. That's the great thing about being the mom...you get to decide! lol

Good luck.