- advertisement -

Been Lurking here awhile looking for advice

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abbysmom, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

Hi, I have been reading the board since my daughter was diagnosed but have never posted.

I have a 2 year old diagnosed in August.

It took until November but her numbers have gotten much better and we have not had a low at night since mid November until last Saturday. On Saturday I checked her 12:30 am (220) and at 8 am she was 60!

Obviously I am checking several times a night again but does anyone have any explanation for this. She gets her Lantus at breakfast and my understanding is that Lantus can peak but it happens shortly after it is taken. If Lantus does peak for her, would it happen only once? Is is normal and just the nature of diabetes to have everything going along fine and then a freak number that never happans again?

2. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

to me it dosent sound like the lantus it sounds more like d just being d and throwing you a curve ball ...what was for dinner or bedtime snack that night and how much did you dose for it ...it could have something to do with that but even that i think was probably ok and its just a crazy number out of nowhere ...its been a while since we have been on mdi so i cant offer much advice and im sure some of the pro's will chime in soon

3. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I just wanted to take a minute and welcome you.

When my son was on Lantus it only lasted about 22 hours and to be honest I can not remember when his peak was. To me it does not sound like a Lantus issue.

4. Abbysmom

Thanks

It was a strange night because we went shopping and ate at Wendys before at about 6:30pm. We never go out to eat so had to guess a bit on her carbs eaten. However she had her Humolog by 7pm at the latest. She was 196 at 9:30 ate 1/2 a cookie 214 at 12:30 am and 60 at 8 a.m. Just wondering if strange numbers like this are common.

Here are her numbers the last week

12/29 159 393 182 292 70/128
    12/30 161 304 197 242 97
    12/31 136 178 326 128 86/119
    1/1 203 145 171 118 89/169
    I made a change here to her dinner carb ratio she is getting less Humolg at dinner because of those night lows. (she is 2 so 100-200 is ideal)
    1/2 140 337 165 196 214*
    1/3 *62/107 231 189 411 237
    1/4 220 318
    Between breakfast and lunch today she had an awful low 38 at preschool. She hasn't had a morning low in a month.

5. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

just wanted to welcome you too.

D can drive you crazy. I'm headed for the looney bin myself
    keep up the great work:D

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Yes. Although perhaps the "going along fine" part is not quite the nature so much as the hard work.

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

Welcome to the family.

I think I would be tempted to chalk it up to diabetes being diabetes. But, I would also takes notes about the differences in the previous day. It may be that something you did or she ate will affect her the same way in the future. I know that my son always goes low after or during shopping. Actually if he walks a lot in the store then he will likely go low that night too.

One of the suckie things with diabetes is the contradiction of needing to know so many things and being able to account for and act on so many variables and then there are times that you have to just let things go because there is no answer and you will drive yourself batty if you try to explain it. It is a fine line to walk and I look forward to the day that I know which category a crazy number fits into!

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

The 60 at 8 am was not from the Lantus peak, which would happen in the afternoon.

Given that she was 220 at 12:30 am, there are only 2 possibilities that I can think of to explain this:

1) She got a lot of exercise the day before, which can cause BG levels to keep going down many hours after the exercise is over.

2) She is getting too much Lantus, and it is pulling her down overnight.

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

I was thinking of the activity factor also..If she were very active that day, or even the day before it would make a difference.

10. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Where do you live? Outside snow play will cause lows, as will swimming, you'll neeed to decrease the lantus dose. A drop of more than 40 points over night means the lantus dose needs lowered. Welcome to the family. Sorry you needed to find us.

11. Toni

Toni Banned

I cannot prevent 60s. Even on tested basals it can happen. We do test often, test overnight and if she hits 60 or even 50 we do catch it. Cgms helps but not perfect overnight and she is still not wearing it. Turned out to be a long break.:rolleyes: At the last night time check, if you feel she is on the lower side, like 80, give a little juice or milk to bump her up a little bit, maybe to 120 before you turn in for the night. This will give you a little room.

12. Abbysmom

Thank You Everyone

Wilf and others who responed about exercise.

I didn't know exercise could do that. She runs around crazy when we shop. It is a nightmare to take her to store because she gets so excited:) Also it is freezing cold here so maybe the combination.

Anyways thank you everyone. I'm going to chalk this up to exercise and be more carful on days we go shopping.

13. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

When my son and daughter were honeymooning his pancreas would spit out random amounts of insulin. Obviously we couldn't account for this in his lantus dose, so sometimes we just saw unexplained random numbers. I would keep an eye on it - check at 3 or so if you can and see see what her numbers are doing then.

Welcome! Glad you came out of lurkdom! :)