- advertisement -

Beagle to be awarded for saving diabetic owner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beach bum, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Interesting article...

June 19, 2006

ORLANDO, Fla. --A 17-pound beagle named Belle is more than man's best friend. She's a lifesaver. Belle was in Washington, D.C., on Monday to receive an award for biting onto owner Kevin Weaver's cell phone to call 911 after the diabetic Ocoee man had a seizure and collapsed.

"There is no doubt in my mind that I'd be dead if I didn't have Belle," said Weaver, 34, whose blood sugar had dropped dangerously low. Belle had been trained to summon help in just those circumstances.

She was the first canine recipient to win the VITA Wireless Samaritan Award, given to someone who used a cell phone to save a life, prevent a crime or help in an emergency, the Orlando Sentinel reported Monday.

Weaver first heard about service dogs while he was working as a flight attendant after befriending a frequent passenger who taught dogs to help diabetic patients. Using their keen sense of smell, the animals can detect abnormalities in a person's blood-sugar levels.

The dog periodically licks Weaver's nose to take her own reading of his blood-sugar level. If something seems off to her, she will paw and whine at him.

"Every time she paws at me like that I grab my meter and test myself," Weaver said. "She's never been wrong."

2. zeb'smom

zeb'smom Approved members

Wow, that is really amazing! I love dogs.

Robyn

3. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I want to train our dog to do that! She's already such good buddies with Aaron... And she loves to help. This weekend at the cottage (her first time) she tried to retrieve everyone who went swimming.

4. akrickard

akrickard Approved members

It scares me so much that that happens. I worry about Ginny when she grows up. I hope she never lives alone.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It's facinating that animals can be trained to help like this. Many people already find that their family pets (be it cats or dogs) can sense when the child is having a problem. For example, my friends daughter suffers from drop down siezures (non-d related) and their cat starts howling right before drops. I just find this incredible!

6. JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk Approved members

I would never be able to bite "911" onto a phone -- dialing a phone requires all of my concentration. Let's give it up for the dog! :rolleyes:

7. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Animals are so amazing!! We have two dogs too but they can't do any tricks other than shake, sit, stay and down (and that's even a stretch at times!). They are so smart though because I know they knew I was pregnant before I did LOL. My dog kept sniffing at my belly. I have no doubt that they could be trained to save lives....

Yay for the doggie in the article!!!

8. momof2

momof2 Approved members

Wow!!!! That is so amazing!!

The dog deserves a medal!

:D

9. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I imagine he'd rather have a nice steak...