- advertisement -

Beach advice

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof3sons, Jun 8, 2015.

1. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

My son wears an Animas pump and a Dexcom CGM.

We are heading to Hawaii in a couple of weeks. We have never had much luck managing our equipment in the sand. Everything gets filled with sand and new insertion sites have to be done constantly.

Any ideas?

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

For serious beach vacations we go untethered. Even with caps, the sets tend to fill with sand, so we just decided to bite the bullet and unplug. The benefit of this is that you don't have to worry about missed insulin because you are covered by long acting. As for the CGM, well it doesn't work in water, but it does help for seeing how things are going. We just tape the heck out of it so it stays on!

3. Riley's Mom

Riley's Mom Approved members

What type of tape and where can it be purchased? For the Dexcom.

4. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

We spent 3 weeks in Hawaii last summer. We found OpSite tape worked pretty well. We taped all around the sensor (not over it). We bought ours on Amazon.

We don't get readings while my daughter was in the water, but the readings came back once she is out of the water. So, we found the Dexcom still very helpful.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Another vote for Op-site tape. It's thin and flexible. It's the only sensor tape we like and that she doesn't react to.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

You can get the tape on Amazon or any of the medical supply sites.

7. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

For our beach vacation in a week and a half, we are going back to MDI, although we considered untethered. I think my daughter would just rather skip the site all together for the week and that way we don't have to worry about sand and heat with the pump. I may go ahead and try a week of MDI next week so we don't have as much craziness the week of vacation. I'm definitely taking her pump and sites just in case she changes her mind.