- advertisement -

BD Needles

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CamsMom, Jul 19, 2010.

1. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

Mini vs. Nano. What size do you use?

We were prescribed Mini... but I see there is a smaller version... the Nano.

Also, the drop of insulin after an injection. Any hints on how to make that go away. ED office has said time and time again that BD claims that is normal and it shouldn't effect the insulin being received from the pen. It doesnt make sense to me.

Thanks in advance.

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I think we use the small ones, for the leek back we were told to hold the needle in for 5 sec while pinching up then release the pinch and hold it in for 5 more sec. f you still get leak back put your finger over the injection site for a moment when you pull the needle back out:)

3. Megszers

Megszers Approved members

I use the mini's but I got a free sample of 5 of the nano's and like those. Once I'm through my box of 100 mini's I'm going to start getting the nano's. I like them because they're shorter

4. meg9901

meg9901 Approved members

We keep the pen needles for back-up use, and just recently got a box of the nanos. They are a finer gauge (32) and a shorter length (5/32") than the "short" ones we had used since dx. Had to use it once, and it seemed really fine. No complaints from DD.

The nurse practitioner who prescribed them was not exactly reluctant, but cautious in prescribing, citing concerns that you had to go straight in with these, hold for a 10-count, and be aware that larger doses (like a daily lantus) could be more difficult to administer successfully, I guess this is because of the risk of not being far enough under the skin, especially for larger doses.

I smiled and nodded, because if I need to use them (knock on wood) it would be just for a 2-4 unit correction in the middle of the night for a bad pump site. Since this happens only every 3-4 months, it didn't seem too much of a risk.

5. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We use the minis, which are 3/16" and 31 guage.

We pinch up the skin, put the needle in, inject, then do a 10 count while releasing the pinch, then pull the needle out. We occasionally get a drop on the skin, but our cde was never concerned about it. We haven't seen an issue with him not getting the full dose, so we don't worry about it.

6. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

We use the new nano.

The nurse at children's hospital wasn't happy about it. Said that it may not be adminstered deeply enough, that the minis were too small , that they didn't work for herself, so she should know, blah blah. Well you should see the size of this woman. She's huge.

Our endo (a few minutes later, we see each seperately) said they'd be perfect for my slender daughter. So go figure.

Right now we are thrilled with them.