- advertisement -

Battery change question on Ping

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HanksMom, Jun 8, 2011.

1. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

This is probably a really silly question...

It looks like the battery is starting to go down on the pump; we're just past a month of pumping, and we're down to two bars instead of three on the battery icon.

The manual says that a full rewind and prime is required. Do we have to change out the entire set to do this?? We're using the contact detach. Could I detach him, change the battery, rewind, insert the same cartridge, and prime through the detach, then reattach?

Thanks in advance!!

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

You don't have to take the cartridge out. Just rewind, load, do a quick prime to see the drop and then reconnect

3. HanksMom

Thanks for answering so quickly!! To clarify - I can rewind with the cartridge in the pump?

4. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Also - the Ping is rather speedy in losing battery power once it has warned you once :). Don't think you still have a few days. Or hours. Or even minutes!

5. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Also, if your CWD has any insulin on board, make a note of how much before you replace the battery. Then as soon as you get the new battery in, bolus that same amount into the sink and it will track IOB for you again. If you don't do that, it loses it's IOB information.

6. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

For us, once it drops from three bars down to two, I make sure my son has a spare battery in his pocket at all times. Once it drops from two bars to one, we change the battery IMMEDIATELY. Many Ping'ers find that they don't have more than 10-20 minutes left at that point.

Our process is:

1) disconnect from the pump
    2) remove old battery and pop new battery in
    3) tell pump to rewind cartridge
    4) tell pump to load cartridge
    5) prime out a little insulin
    6) reconnect to the pump

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Eek! That is not good! What if that happens at night and you don't hear the alarm?!

(We don't change until no bars and the actual "Low Battery" alarm, but we have at least 24 hours once we get that alarm.)

8. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I keep an eye on the battery once it gets down to two bars and, after about 5 days, I just have him switch out the battery. Luckily, he's a light sleeper and wakes for any of the pump's alarms.

9. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

Interesting, I always took out the cartridge and done a rewind, I'll try this way next time. How much are you priming out?

10. HanksMom

Thanks for all of the great advice!!

11. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

YES!!!! Change the battery as soon as you get the low alarm, if not before....

I was told by Animas that it would last 2 hours after the low battery alarm, but I don't think it lasted even that long..

12. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son has gone a week on two bars.

Once the battery gets to three bars, it alarms every couple of minutes. My son gets so annoyed that he changes it.

Now when it gets to two bars, we change out the battery after a couple of days, just to avoid the hassle of multiple alarms.

13. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

After we first got the Ping, I though I could wait until we got to one bar to change the battery. Big mistake!! Luckily, we were home but, hours after we saw one bar, we got the low battery warning. I now change the battery as soon as we get to 2 bars just to be safe. Don't want to be caught out somewhere, drop to one bar, and have an emergency on our hands. For a while, I was so paranoid that I even wrote on our calendar when to change the battery. Now, I just watch the bars carefully.

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Ya, we found this out the hard way, pump had one bar at bed, didn't think anything about it. Pump alarmed during night, we didn't hear it, she was without insulin for probably 5-6 hours. Ketones developed. Wasn't pretty.

Now, if she is down one bar at night, we change it asap. Otherwise, we will see how it goes. Always carry a spare battery in her meter case.

15. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

This is one of the many reasons I love this message board. Great information. But now I'm paranoid because I haven't looked at the bars on the pump since we started a month ago. I think I'll call the sitter and find out where he stands.

16. suz

suz Approved members

This is a GREAT idea! I hate that it looses the IOB, so will definitely give this a try.

For us, it will drop a bar or two for a few days before it starts alarming. Yesterday for example he came home from all day at camp and it was alarming, he told me it had been doing that all day and he just kept OK'ing it instead of telling someone. Luckily it was still OK.

Do you all use Lithium or Alkaline batteries? We use Alkaline, they seem to last around a month, just wondered if the Lithium really lasted any longer to make the price difference worthwhile?