- advertisement -

Bathtime and Insulin ??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aidensmom, Aug 27, 2008.

1. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

At dx we were told to not give DS a bath an hour before or after giving insulin. They said that the rise in body temp would make the insulin absorb too quickly. We've been doing this, but it is sometimes very difficult to try to get a bath done in the evening. Thankfullly our babysitter has been helping by giving some baths during the day. We usually eat dinner around 6:30 and then start bedtime stuff around 8:00. DS gets Humalog at dinner and Lantus between 8-8:30. I understand that YDMV, but just wondering if everyone follows this rule strictly or has had trouble by giving a bath sooner? Also, would a shower be better? He's 2, so it is a little difficult to give a shower, but it can be done :) Thanks so much for your help!!

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I'd read about baths immediately before or after, but I don't think I ever heard of the 1-hour rule. My daughter takes showers anyway, but I still wait at least a half hour after her shot. I don't wait as long after her shower to do her bedtime shot though.

3. chocoholicsc

chocoholicsc Approved members

We were never told not to give baths near insulin...:confused: I have never paid attention to the timing of his baths in relation to his insulin.
    I'm curous what others have to say about it. :)

4. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I wasn't told anything, but in the Pink Pather diabetes book there is a page on it. I think that it said not to bathe for an hour after giving insulin, but don't remember reading about the before part. We've given plenty of baths before shots because we were avoiding the after! :) The book said that because of the higher temp. the insulin would be absorbed into her body too fast and could cause a low.

5. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I leave my pump on when I shower and bath never noticed any difference at all. Even on MDI I never noticed. Would this mean if you had lantus in your system it would be absorbed faster and cause lows possibility or are we just talking about Fast acting?

6. zell828

zell828 Approved members

I never heard about giving insulin afterwards as bad, but I have heard not to give insulin and then taking a bath right afterwards. We usually wait about 30-60 minutes to give a bath after Novolog is given. It's usually about 2 hours at our house anyway because dinner is 6 pm and if she takes a bath it's normally around 8 pm. I have given her Lantus right after she comes out of the tub and see no problems (within 10 minutes).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  7. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

I asked our CDE this question once and she said both Humalog and Lantus. Then she also said that each child is different and some people have to wait longer and that some people can wait less.

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I always wait at least an hour after giving insulin before letting her get a bath. It is true (at least for her) that if she gets a hot bath soon after getting insulin she will go low. One night, (I can't remember why) she got a bath after dinner and even during the bath said she felt low and sure enough she was.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we always waited at least 30-45 min after the lantus shot for a bath. if his bath was before his shot I'd usually wait only about 15 min to give the shot.

10. punky1076

punky1076 Approved members

We read this in the hospital in the Pink Panther Book and have always followed a 30 minute rule. DD doesn't shower or bathe within 30 minutes of long acting or fast acting insulin. No one else has ever mentioned it to us. We would have never known had we not read it in the Pink Panther Book.

11. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

Thanks for the answer on that one!!! You learn something new everyday :)
    I like my showers steaming hot (almost scalding) I'm surpised I havn't noticed but maybe I wasn't watching now I"m going to experiment!

12. Aidan'sMom

Aidan'sMom Approved members

Aidan usually has his dinner injection by 6 p.m. and takes his bath around 7:15, Lantus is given at 8:30 right before bed. We have never had any trouble with this schedule. We were told not to get in a hot bath until an hour after an injection or it could cause lows.

13. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

I remember reading that in the MANY books I read when DD was diagnosed. I specifically wrote down that question and asked. We waited about 30 min. They say don't just jump right into the bath water. Hopefully you can test the 30 min out and see what happens.

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Honestly, I was very careful about this in the beginning, but now it never crosses my mind. If we were still on Lantus, I might keep an eye on that, but we always gave that right before bed, so it never interfered with bath anyway.

15. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

I had heard not to get in the bath right after the shot, so we always do bath before. This has been tough lately and we will probably move his bath to after dinner, so good to see this post and see what others are doing with this. If we do the bath after dinner, we'll wait at least an hour and see if that works.

16. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

I usually wait the hour, but when I can't I just make sure the bath is tepid. He prefers it just warm anyway... and I don't run it too deep either.

17. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

I always wait at least 1.5 hrs after he's had insulin.