- advertisement -

basketball and insulin pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ange_mom, Nov 30, 2014.

1. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

We are just starting basketball this year. Had played 5 games and went to a tournament this weekend and the ref made David take off his pump. He only plays for 3 minute periods so I really didn't want him to take it off. I was ticked because I can't find any kind of rules on Basketball NB's website and it really embarrassed David. One of the other moms gave it to the ref after (I'm too shy to do that). Anyone else had problems or does everyone always take them off?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Never. Not in years of JV and V lacrosse and field hockey, rec basketball or any other sporting event. That said I'm guessing none of the refs ever noticed her pump because she wears it in a spi-belt under her uniform.

I'd be livid. It's a medical device, not a piece of jewelry.

If the coach is decent, I'd start there and too, gathering info about pro and olympic athletes who pump in the event that you have to write a letter to the school/coach/athletic association.

Good luck, and I'm sorry that happened.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Jack has worn his pump for baseball, basketball, tennis, soccer, football (flag AND tackle)...you get the picture. But like Sarah said, I'm not sure a ref has ever seen it. He wears it in a pump pouch under his shirt.

I would have refused to have him take it off. Ridiculous.

4. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

Never been asked to take them off and they are visible, we don't even take off medic alert(we tape down with tagaderm)

I'm also a referee and he was out of line